Saturday 3 January 2009

Circular No 374






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 3 January 2009 No. 374
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is information on Cornel de Freitas, a newcomer to the Circular.
Also please look at this you tube collage, presented by KAZIM ABASALI, our future webmaster, maybe??? page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJRATT4ZaI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from: Cornel de Freitas corneldefreitas@hotmail.com
Date: 26 December 2008 09:41
Hello Ladislao:
How are you? It was absolutely great to receive your email and "circulars" Re:The Abbey School MSB"
I obviously never knew it existed, and though you could say I was a lost soul alumni' that attended The Abbey School, it was my life, and probably the most important time of my life.
I am absolutely grateful you found me - thanks!
My time at the Mount was [ 1960 - 1965 ]
I used to think of it as a jail for boys - they were actually some of the best years of my life.
We had a little song we used to sing on return trips from Port of Spain about "It's back to jail we go ..."
I know that I can say that I had many friends at the Mount, many of them I got to know their families.
The school would arrange for the foreign students to stay with local families during Easter and special long weekends.
One Easter vacation the foreign students spent it on one of the "Islands " with father Eugene (the Dean at the time)....another interesting story...
I was always of the belief that fr.Bernard never liked me.
Cecil Camacho was a 'Prefect', I am both impressed and amazed! He was always a really nice guy.
His father always like me and asked to see me before I left for home (Aruba), when I returned from Aruba to the Mount, he had sadly passed away, and that was tough for my two friends - I knew them well.
During my stay, since I too was a foreign student, albeit maybe not the grade "A" student, I also participated in the athletic sports events.
I belonged to house of St. Lawrence.
However, many of the names mentioned are not students I remembered, except for Cecil and Jeffrey Camacho.
We were good friends, and visited their home many times.
I also remember a good friend by the name Robert Azar.
I often Wonder how all of my school mates are fearing.
Though I recognised many of the students in the photograph you sent me, that was not my class.
Some of the other students names I remember are Jeremy du Barry (stayed at his home), also Richard and Stephen Anderson (spent time at their home and seaside cottage/home.
There were some students from Columbia one time that when the flights to return home for Christmas were being booked for the foreign students, they could not get a flight through Caracas because of some problems, they were booked through a flight to "Aruba" where I lived, stayed overnight at my home and my parents got them on their flights to Columbia the next day so they could be with their families for Christmas.
We were also good friends and it saddens me that I cannot remember their names, one of those three students stayed with me at Jerimy du Barrie's home at the same time.
It was great fun.
I also had a car accident with Jerimy's mother's car one night going to a party in Port of Spain for which Jeremy had an extremely scientific/mathematical explanation, until his dad remarked at the breakfast table the following morning (incidentally: "mother's day") that the person that was driving the car would have a sore right knee, and the instant the words left his mouth my right knee started to hurt me!
Of course, at the time, I did not agree with Jeremy's "story" of what we would tell his parents, but got talked into it.
I however 'fessed up' at the breakfast and explained what had really happened that night.
My parents in Aruba offered to pay for the repairs to his mother's car, but that very same morning the car was already shipped off to the repair shop.
It was a brand new White Vauxhall Victor.
Hope I did not bore you with my long winded story.
But my life at the Mount is still close to my heart.
Hope to hear from you soon, I really look forward to your emails!
A Blessed Christmas and very healthy, happy and prosperous new year to you and loved ones.
Is there such a thing as a picture library of the old black and whites I can visit?
Thanks!
I would like to think of myself as a forever loyal brother of MSB brothers
Cornel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Cornel,
From your description the Colombian guy might have been Norman Smith.
Do you know the complete song??, no one remembers !.
The Camachos are in the list but again no contact.
Please mention the CODE on the photo and tell me if they were years ahead or years behind?
As a reference, BOXHEAD was one year ahead of you since he graduated in 1964.
Naturally if you graduated in 1965, then the new photo attached is your class.
Jeremy appears as 1966, Steven in 1966 and Richard in 1963.
At the end of the Circular you can find the BLOG page run by BOXHEAD, retired supreme court judge, living in ANGUILLA.
Any photos of the time?? or memorabilia?
Naturally I would like to receive additional recounts on your JAIL time. !!!
God Bless
LAdislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: KAZIM ABASALI (kazim2u@hotmail.com)
Sent: Thu 1/01/09 12:44 PM
Dear Mt. St. Benedict Abbey School Alumni,
Here is a New Year Reunion 2008 Youtube video slide show.
Enjoy and kindly share with others.....
Blessings to you....
Kazim Abasali
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Manuel José Prada Padovani (manjosepra@hotmail.com)
Sent: Wed 12/31/08 1:29 AM
Ladislao: todo lo mejor este venidero 2009.
Te anexo fotos.
Enviame la informacion para poder viajar por barco.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz wrote:
Dear David,
These are circulars that were sent to the blog but not to individuals as I changed from Netscape to yahoo,
Today I have finally transferred all the addresses to kertesz 13 and I am gauging the returned mails.
I might need help from you, I am planning to go to TT but I do not want to bother the Carl Vaughan family (they are very old), neither stay at the Mount (too far)?
I would like to set an approximate date, what would be the best to meet at least a dozen alumni?.
God bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
KenTrini@aol.com
6 Mar 2008
Hello Ladislao,
Thanks for Circulars No.328 and 329.
They arrived while I was in Trinidad to inter the ashes of my uncle who died in Pensacola, Florida.
I stayed with my sister and her husband who live in Westmorrings.
Also resident at that location is an old Mount boy, Allan[Sonny]Blanc who was a member of 2nd. Mount St.Benedict Scout troop.
He was on my first scout camp to Caura and I still have a photo of us sitting on rocks fishing.
We visited for a short while and I will be trying to send him a copy of that photo.
I will try to send it to you also along with any other old Mount photos which I can dig up.
Of course, while in Trinidad, I visited the Mount and met with Abbot Pereria.
I gave him a copy of the inscription page of a missal, signed by members of the scout troop and which was presented to me in December1953, shortly before my departure to the USA to study Medicine.
I asked Fr. Abbot to get it to you as I believe the signatures may jog the memories of some of these old boys.
Fr. Abbot also informed me that Fr. Benedict had fallen the week before and sustained a fractured hip, necessitating surgery.
I was able to visit Fr. Benedict in the hospital and tried to raise his spirits by showing him a memento pamphlet of his ordination in 1952.
I believe that a reunion is being planned for April 2008.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend as I am committed to being in Africa at that time.
However, please keep me informed of plans for future reunions.
Thanks again for the good job which you are doing.
Ken Austin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
EagleMsi
Friday, January 2, 2009 4:36:31 PM
Hello Ladislao,
Many thanks for remembering to send me the circular.
I have really enjoyed reading them and remembering all the good times of the mount I was only their for two years ,
I remember Fr Cuthbert and the scouts very well ,
Richard Anderson was my PL for those two years .
Peter & Christian Quesnel whose home in Maracas valley we used to visit , a Saturday walk up to white stones and down the other side into the valley, Peters mom would feed us a great meal and drop us back to the grounds in the afternoon.
Thanks again and wishing you and your Family all the best for 2009.
Regards
Roger de Meillac
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: BRIAN goddard (goddardbrian@hotmail.com)
Sent: Mon 9/08/08 1:58 AM
Hey Christopher:
Well it has been a while (probably about 50 short years) since we have spoken or seen each other!
I have a vague but positive remembrance of our Mt days back then, in the mid 50´s and as you can read in my note to Nigel below, who by the way in his response, indicated that he will not be able to go and that I should communicate with you!!
Yr old boys reunion is an interesting calling for us used fellows to get together and remember those Mt boy teen´s experiences; only that I´m not certain of being able to attend but I´ll try my best to assist, ok!!
I´ll copy Ladislao who is already most likely aware of the proposed reunion!!
Of the Goddard brothers, I´m the only one who remained in Venezuela(Valencia)!
It has been difficult for this crazy widower to leave this (once upon a time) wonderful country with it´s beautiful women but who knows what the future might bring; specially since life has many chapters...que sera, sera!!??
Donald & Christian are US citizens and live in Louisiana & Oklahoma!
My oldest daughter is a US citizen, living in Florida and who has indicated that she want´s to petition me for a 'green card', which I may consider after trying my future in Barbados (I´m a Barbados citizen) or Costa Rica(C.R.)!
Having visited C.R on many occasions, I find it a beautiful country with wonderful people to consider immigrating to!! Vamos a ver que pasa!?
All the best...gracias & saludos,
Brian
PS: Pls read my note to Nigel Boos below!
..................................................................................................................
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 17:08:18 -0400
Hi Nigel & thanks for the info!
I might be able to make the reunion since I was planning my vacation beginning that weekend, around the dates for the reunion but two limitations complicate matters!
First, a company seminar in Kentucky during that week which has not been confirmed and a masters swimming meet that weekend in Margarita which I could cancel; so as you can see, it may be difficult but not impossible!
I´ll keep you posted, ok!!
I really would like the opportunity to see a few people in T&T; plus take advantage of visiting two companies for possible job opportunities...
Two companies whose owners I know and are in the process of expanding with new companies in Barbados and Costa Rica!!
I am only in Venezuela because of my youngest daughter who plans on leaving for Spain of some other South American country next year!
Democratic & civilised folks do not want anything to do with Venezuela!!
By the way Nigel, will you be planning on assisting the reunion!?
All the best,
Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
That is for now, till the next one
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
08UN0519REUNION2008, Don Mitchell
08UN0552REUNION2008, Gordon Mitchell and UNKNOWNS
08DM5198REUNION2008, Peter Tang and BUNCH OF UNKNOWNS
08DM5247REUNION2008, A view form the top floor of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment