Saturday 11 April 2009

Circular No 388





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 11 April 2009 No. 388

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ALUMNI,

This Circular has various emails that have been on the waiting list for some time.

I would like to thank Fr. Cuthbert for the good Easter wishes.

Also for Nigel´s new Excel files with the latest on ALUMNI.

I have talked with Clive Bettencourt Gomes, he sounds like a youngster, very active, I hope that he will keep on that way for many years.

He has promised me to send material for the Circular.

Remember that all photos are welcome, specially the ones taken at Xmas.

So, here we start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salvador Coscarart (salborbolla@hotmail.com)

Sent: Thu 1/24/08 3:33 AM

Saludos ladislao.

Aqui otro estudiante de los 70's.

Bueno espero que la familia esten bien y felices ,

Un abraso salvador.

--------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: taylor@tstt.net.tt

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:45:25 -0400

Hola hemano,

Como estas?

Salvador, I am still living in Trinidad, I have been all over the world working in the oil fields now working in Saudi Arabia.

I worked 6 years in Venezuela and loved it.

I am married with 2 children, both boys, 14 & 16 years old.

I spend a lot of time fishing on my off time.

Good to hear from you and may god bless you and family.

I will look for some pic's to send you later.

God Bless

Roger

(Note: Roger´s email has had many hiccups lately, ed)

----- Original Message ------------------------------------------------------

From: Salvador Coscarart

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:38 PM

Hello Roger,

How are you doing?

Hope you are doing well and in good health.

I don't know if you will remember me or my brother Pedro.

We were from Venezuela when we attended the abbey school from 67-74.

I remember you when John Gionnetti told me about you when i went to Trinidad in 2003.

But i got your e-mail address from john.

Any way am just trying to make contact with you and hopefully we can meet someday on a reunion.

Best wishes.

God bless

Salvador Coscarart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------.

Salah Wilson sal_wils@hotmail.com

date 15 January 2009 10:41

Greetings Ladislao, and Angel

I am presently in Trinidad so I am using my hotmail address.

I find these emails from you and Angel very exciting.

As a matter of fact I have been trying to get some Alumni from Abbey School happening, I am glad to know that this is already in progress.

These are my co-ordinates. I live in Montreal and is presently in touch with Andel Da Silva also in Montreal.

I attended Abbey School from (1963-1970), I was a member of the football team all the way from Juniors to Seniors.

my name was ( Anthony Wilson called Willy) I am now called ( Salah Wilson, this is the name I use as an author among other things)

I wrote a steelpan text book that is now being used by the Trinidad & Tobago government in the public schools)

I was born in the village ( St. John Road).

I am writing you from there and can look through my window and see the Abbey some of the coaches in my time included ( Tuco -Desmong De Nobreiga) Sheldon Gomes, Vernon Theroulde, Brother Sebastian who is now Ken Bhagan living in Toronto and also in the Steelpan business like myself.

He will be thrilled to know about these developments, I will speak with him.

Some of the football players include, Angel Da Silva, Neville Tenia, Derek Phillips, Cecil Camacho, Ronald Billouin, Gordon Chan Wai Hong. Tony Cedeno, Michael Farah.

I am fully involved in the Steelpan business.

I have introduced it to the public schools in Montreal where my six kids are now the teachers.

I have presently written four Steelpan Text books and am currently promoting them in Trinidad and the Caribbean.

I have been trying to bring about a musical Literacy program in the panyards, of T&T since 2002......still trying.

Incidentally I did introduce a steelpan program in the Early eighties at the Abbey School before the school was shut down.....

But the writing was already on the wall for the fate of the school.

I am also a professional recording and Jazz musician ( Steelpans).

I also take my private school ( Salah's Steelpan Academy) to Panorama competitions in Toronto and Boston.

For the last two years 2007,2008 . We have won the competition both in Montreal and Toronto. this year 2009 we are going for a tripple.

It is in Toronto where I met Ken Bhagan ( no longer Brother Sebastian)

He is also a "Panman" having his own group 'St. Jamestown'..... interesting isn't it.

Listen I will keep in touch..the following are my co-ordinates

In Montreal email < salah@steelpanplus.com > website: < www.steelpanplus.com > hotmail: sal_wils@hotmail.com

In Trinidad email < salah@flowtrinidad.net > hotmail: sal_wils@hotmail.com

Presently it is best to use my hotmail address as I can pick it up anytime on my laptop enjoying the Sunshine here in Trinidad but will not be staying for the Carnival.

Have to start a new steelpan program in Montreal.

We are finally going into the French sector...really good business for the Pan movement.

Angel ...I will keep in touch on my return best wishes to you and yours.

Ladislao send me some updates on you...

I do not remember if we were there together..

But best wishes to you also...

Good job guys

Salah

( hope that there is going to be email addresses to the names soon, ed)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Salah Wilson

15 Jan

I have also met Jeremy De Barry...

Guess what He is also a "Panman" he is the Manager of Hatters steelband in San Fernando.

Salah

-------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:52:43 PM

I well remember Erin.

But, Pancho? No.

I did not begin smoking until the advanced age of about 16.

So, I guess I had no reason to.

Please contact Fr Cuthbert!!

Don

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nigel P. Boos

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:50:16 PM

OF COURSE!

I do remember Pancho, and Mr. Tom.

But Erin - no, I don't know him.

Sounds like a character, though.

Nigel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 4-Feb-09, at 5:15 PM, eden hutton wrote:

Hi Nigel,

Two VIP's who really were a part of the Mt experience.

ERIN & PANCHO

Erin was the head janitor.

He worked alone for many years before his helper was hired.

Erin had a limp due to infantile paralysis and the only self defence move ever created at the Mt was named after him.

The move comprises of jamming the sharp point of your knee into the opponent's thigh muscles with all your force.

The result ?! A severe pain and debilitating limp for a good 15 minutes !

Erin lived off the Mt road just below the new Seminary on the right, in a small shack with his ever smiling indian wife.

He was generous with his Anchor Specials if you didnt ask him too often, as any of the smokers will tell you.

Pancho looked like his name; he would have looked even more so wearing a sombrero of course.

Contact Fr Cuthbert.

He probably made out their paychecks.

Best wishes, Eden

-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nigel P. Boos

Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:33:37 PM

Hi there, Clyde,

How nice to hear from you. It's been 47 years!

You may not remember me, but I certainly remember you.

We entered MSB at the same time (56) and I finished Form 5 in '60.

How are you doing?

I hope this email finds you in good health.

I appreciate your comments about the fellas you remember from the Abbey School, because it is through these casual words that I pick up new names I'd not heard before, or else I get clarification of other questions.

In this case, I have now heard for the first time, the names of:

1. Roy Taylor

2. Bill Peters

3. Pimsey Vieira (was his real name John - and if so, do you know when he attended MSB?)

If possible, can you let me have the email addresses and phone ## for these guys.

Every little bit helps.

Keep in touch.

Nigel P. Boos

cc. I'm copying this email to one of your BG compadres, Trevor Evelyn.

he might know you / your family, and might like to contact you. NB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 25-May-08, at 12:48 PM, CLYDE VIEIRA wrote:

Hi Nigel,

Got your e-mail from Roy Taylor in Vancouver.Never seen or heard of this attached list before.

Met Bill Peters many years ago in Vancouver and never knew he went to the Mount.

You have my name listed as CLIVE VIEIRA.

It is CLYDE VIEIRA.

I was at the Mount in 1956 to 1960.

Never graduated there on account of my Family move to Canada.

I was there with about 6 others from Guyana at the time.

I remember Michael King (who I notice passed away in 1999).

Also at the time there were:

Joe Vieira,

Tony Vieira,

Pimsey Vieira,

Terrence Vieira,

Simon DaCosta and his brother

David DaCosta(deceased) and a few others.

It is nice to have a list of Former students,

however it is difficult to remember names after so long a time.

I had the opportunity to visit the school and Abbey in 1998 and found both to be in excellent condition.

The school was not in session at the time.

I still have some photos available that I look back on from time to time.

My e-mail address is vieiraci@sympatico.ca,

I reside in Brampton, Ont Canada and my phone # 905-4528319.

Thank you for keeping this list updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So now you have all the exchanges and photos.

That is for now, till the next one

Ladislao Kertesz, Kertesz11@yahoo.com,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

02TV0003EDIBAR, Monastery at Bartica Guyana.

08SW0001SWI, Salah Wilson and the text books.

08SW0002SWI, Salah Wilson

07AZ1496SCOAZA, Salvador Coscarart and Antonio Zanella

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment