Saturday 7 March 2009

Circular No 383





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 7 of March 2009 No. 383

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Would like to remind you that we now have a website to serve us, by Kazim Abasali: www.ASAATT.org, please check it out.

I have prepared a Circular on Neil Trotman with the latest including his first contact, with interesting photos, specially on teachers.

If anyone can help out with Roland Sanchez, telf and email address?

I am also interested in Miguel Gonzalez well-being as his last contact was in 2003.

I have skype at the office: “KAVIACION”, and soon at home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 8:10 AM

Hello Ladislao,

What would you like from me then, please let me know.

I will get some photos out and scan them, hopefully they will work.

Neil

------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com

Date: Wed, 30 May 00:25:26 +0000

Dear Neil,

I have reserved Circular No. 293 , 16 June for your photos and information.

Now I have a better insight on the last days of the school.

God Bless

Ladislao

------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN neiltrotman@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 28 May 22:00:14 +0000

Dear Ladislao,

Just in from work and great to get your email.

Raeburn, Guillen, Gonzalez etc were all class mates when we were at Mount together.

They were a year below me.

I was in Class with Garvin Gonzales and others like Gerald Dornellas who is cousin to Dornellas on the Alumni list.

I emailed Dornellas in connection with Kitty Marcus' 90th birthday, that is how I know this.

Now I am in touch with Jean van Leuwen who was secretary of the school with Kitty Marcus.

When I joined the Abbey school in 78, Jean used to teach Library science with Fr Edwards.

Am also in touch with Dr. Kathleen Phillips-Lewis (History teacher).

You can see lots of information about her on the web.

She is a distinguished historian and is working in Atlanta Georgia.

And the last teacher is Pamela Razack (nee Roopchand).

She is in Trinidad and was excited when I told her that I had come across your blog.

I have an old picture of my year taken by the then Abbot Hilderbrand Greene in the mid 80's.

Even have old report cards.

For the reunion I was sent pictures too and could easily send them too you by post if you would like.

Also have pictures of our trip to Bogota Colombia in 1984.

I think it is great talking about the Abbey School.

There were unpleasant memories and good memories too.

Did you know that when I started there was only one language available Spanish and that there was no Literature O'level available in the 4th/5th years?

I was so annoyed about that.

Hope that this finds you well and happy.

Neil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 28 May 12:00:18 +0000

Dear Neil,

What a surprise, an alumni of the 1980s.

I say that it is a surprise because you are the first to write about life at the mount in the 1980s.

The few, about 10 alumni that we know of, are poor writers.

From my calculations about 100 alumni passed through the school in the 1980s.

There are no photos neither names.

I am the "editor" of the Circular, basically I take your emails and photos and edit them.

It is a weekly affair when I have the time.

God Bless

Ladislao

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

ladislao kertesz

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:36:47 AM

Dear Neil

I forgot to ask you for memorabilia of your years at the mount.

Reaburn sent in 8 names. but he has not written about school life or the names of the teachers.

Do you have the emails of your teachers, they can be added to the Circular mailing list.

God Bless

Ladislao

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN neiltrotman@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 28 May 07:58:27 +0000

Dear Sir,

Sorry to interrupt your day but I saw your name on the blog relating to Abbey School and I felt compelled to write to you.

I hope that you do not mind me writing to you?

But came across this bog yesterday.

I was at the Mount from 1978-1984.

I repeated form 5, I was not that brainy :-).

I see that you are in contact with John Raeburn well we were all around at the same time.

Barry (John) and his friends were in a year below me.

I left the abbey in 84 and returned to London the place of my birth in May 1985.

I must admit and I said the same thing to Don Mitchell that we at the Abbey School were the most privileged students.

It is always great to hear from other old mount boys irrespective of the time they were there.

What views, surroundings, facilities and what a great way to get learn and get yourself involved in the community at the mount.

Great fun.

Through the Abbey School we went to Caracas in 1980 for a week (with Fr Cuthbert and Bernard Lange) and to Bogota Colombia again for a week in 1984 (with Mrs Pamela Razack, Bro Ronald Yee Mon and other class mates like Garvin Gonzales).

It was fun.

I was unable to make the reunion in 2005 as it was my 40th birthday and so I had a big celebration with my partner and friends.

However Pamela Razack sent me lots of photos.

It was good seeing old faces and it was not nice remembering others.

But I keep in touch with my teachers Pamela Razack and Kathleen Phillips-Lewis.

I was very saddened when I heard that Mount closed down all those years ago.

I guess that we can thank Fr, Vincent Merrique the Principal at the time for that. (he subsequently left Mt St Benedict's got married and had 2 children) for that.

He maintained that Abbey School was for "rich white boys."

So go figure...................... with attitudes like that it is no wonder the place was closed down.

Died about two years ago.

The funeral service was held at the Abbey Mt St Benedict.

His sister was married to Peter Bynoe I believe the famous Architect but do not hold me to that.

But I have always maintained that we were all very privileged to have attended the Abbey School.

What a school, what views, what surroundings and what a wonderful community.

I did not know this at the time but when you have time to grow up and reflect truthfully then it becomes apparent.

Hope that you do not mind my interrupting your day.

Have a great day and take care.

Best wishes always

Neil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN

Sent: Thursday, May 31, 10:08 AM

Good morning Ladislao,

I sent some photos to you and Don but he could not view them so I resent them in jpeg format.

Did you get them and were you able to view them.

Anyway, please let me know what you want me to write about, just so that I have an idea of what to say for the next circular.

Kindest regards

Neil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com

Date: Wed, 30 May 00:25:26 +0000

Dear Neil

I have reserved Circular No. 293 , 16 June for your photos and information.

Now I have a better insight on the last days of the school.

God Bless

Ladislao

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 6:46 AM

Dear Don and Ladislao,

I have saved the photos in jpeg.

Did not even know that I could do that.

Hopefully this will be easy to open now.

Regards

Neil

PS in the one of Pamela, Lennox etc there is a small group of people at the back one guy with sun glasses on his head with a goatee beard, I believe that he is one of the Tardieur brothers.

I do not know if it is Charles or Jean Pierre.

Are you aware that JP died in a motor accident.

Very sad.

Çhe is Salvador Coscarart, ed.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN (neiltrotman@hotmail.com)

Sent: Wed 7/25/ 10:00 PM

Dear Ladislao,

With regards to the class photo I can only give the names of those I remember.

I am unable to say what the activities were for the reunion as I was not there.

If you contact Miguel Gonzales he will be able to fill you in on all the activities who was there etc etc.

Neil

1 Robert Dayal,

2 Garvin Gonzales,

3 Mark Tang, (deceased),

4 Alex Almandoz,

5 ?,

6 ?,

7 ?,

8 Sampath,

9 Nigel Gill,

10 Rene Hosein,

11 ?,

12 Nigel Smart,

13 Bronte,

14 Lynch,

15 ?,

16 Lezama,

17 Andrew Arindell,

18 Dornellas,

19 Ashton Greer,

20 Peter Girod,

21 Keith Permy,

22 Neil Trotman,

23 Gerald Ramnath,

24 Kerry Castello,

25 Norman Pow,

26 ?

27 David Smart,

28 Ragoonanan,

29 ?

------------------------------------------------------------.

From: NEIL TROTMAN (neiltrotman@hotmail.com)

Sent: Wed 9/26/07 9:40 PM

Dear Ladislao,

I see from some previous circulars sent earlier this year like just before summer that a few are trying to get the facilities at the mount in good working order again.

There is talk about corporate clientele being responsible for the upkeep of the facilities, that would be great if it could really work.

The light has gone out, no one cares and is only consumed with images of themselves that is all.

I had a great time up to a point at Mount.

If this refurbishment goes ahead and it brings the community together to bridge the social gap then great.

If it however, widens the gap then no that would not be good.

Good luck

Neil Trotman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So now you have all the exchange and photos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is for now, till the next one

78NT0001CLASS1980, photo by Neil Trotman

03NT0001REUNION2003, Garvin Gonzales, Leonard Abbott, Pamela Roopchand, Miguel Gonzales, Clinton Ross, Andres Lazzari, Arnold Lawrence.

05NT0002FOD, Fr. Odo.

07NT0003GRP, Jean van Leuwen, Ronald Sanchez, Pamela Razack, Lennox Seals.

No comments:

Post a Comment