Saturday 17 October 2009

Circular No 415




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 17 of October 2009 No. 415
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Good news on Michael Chow
From our reporters and Alumni in TT, the news is that he is recovering, read details.
As to the photos, please send me the names that have been left in blank. remember to return the photos or use the code number !!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, May 1, 2009 9:27 AM
From: "ian gomes"  
To all MSB boys,
Most of you on this list will remember Michael Chow.
He played football and cricket for the college and was a quiet reserved boy at school.
Michael is very ill (see below) and our prayers should include him at this time. 
Ian 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian,
My sister called me early this morning and told me the bad news,
Michael has pancreatic cancer and don't have long to live,
His daughter (my niece in France, first child) is not taking it too well and will be going down to see him, also his son (nephew),
Tell Poggy and the rest of the guys who knew him.
I will talk to you later
Michael# at the bakery-668-5692.  
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen Mckoy
Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:16:20 PM 
Hello Peter, 
Neil Charles is his brother-in-law, Michael Chow,
Neil was in school with me, his email is above, you can contact Neil,
He will be going down to see Michael in Trinidad.
Thank you for the reply, any support is good.
Best Regards Glen. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Apr 30, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote: 
Neil,
I thank you for passing along this information. 
I remembered Michael Chow, a couple of years older than us,
He was a very smart and intelligent person for his age, at the time, on the Mount,
Neil, I so sorry to hear about this, my heart is with you my friend, please tell your sister
We are all thinking of her and the children, in our prayers today.
You know I am always here my brother, 
Glen. 
(Will pass this along as many brothers did know Michael very well)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:49:55 -0400
Glen,
Remember Chow? He was married to my sister and has two kids with her, he has pancreatic cancer and not long to live,
My niece is not taking it too well and will be going down soon to see him,
I will keep you updated.
Neil 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Peter Tang
Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:48:54 AM 
Glen,
I was in class with Michael.
Who is his sister married to??
How can I contact him?
Is he in T& T?
Don't know if he would remember me. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Urbano von Fedak (urbano@cantv.net)
Sent: Tue 1/08/08 9:30 PM 
Amigo nesecito tu ayuda
Llámame
Urbano 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Mount Boys   Class  1953  ///  1958
It is hard to believe that our 50th anniversary is this year.
We have to name a committee and therefore need your help and input.
Who can be the coordinator?
Each one of us should show enough interest in contacting classmates and giving ideas and suggestions either to Ladislao, Farcheg or De Fedak or the coordinator or the coordinators.
Don’t only concentrate on classmates that where at Abbey School from 1953 until 1958, but add schoolmates until 1960.  
Meeting should be in Trinidad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Urbano von Fedak (urbano@cantv.net)
Sent: Tue 4/14/09 10:36 PM 
Donald!
Reading your lines some tears left my eyes.
It is really nice hearing from you.
Coincidence today I cancelled my flight to New York because my visa expired March 03.
Would I had known that I receive these lines I might have joint Chavez and on my return stop to see your face.
I have an appointment next 25 minutes (a good excuse) but I promise that you will hear from me next 14 days
Un gran saludo y abrazo
Urbano 
----- Original Message -----------------------------------------------
From: "Don Goddard" dgodda1@lsu.edu
To: "Brother Vincent" lrober17@tampabay.rr.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:06 PM 
Dear Brother Vincent:
I noticed your email address on Nigel's list.
Thanks to Ladislao and Nigel who keep a running tab on all Mount boys with the website and list of students and teachers, it makes it easy to contact one another.
Seeing your name brought back some wonderful memories from MSB, especially with sporting events that you organized so well.
I recall that Urbano and I were in St. Francis house (the best one), Christian and Csaba were in St. Anthony, and Brian with Nigel and I believe Ladislao were in St. Lawrence. I still recall the time you showed us how to write and sign our checkbooks when we arrived at Mount in 1953.
I don't know why, because there was very little money in the account and nothing to buy but toothpaste and soap, as far as I recall.
Regarding classroom, teachers and studying, my mind is a little fuzzy about that due to "ole age".
I remember scouting activities and trips to Mayaro and other places and building all kinds of contraptions out of bamboo.
I also, remember the time I went with another scout on our 1st class badge hike following a map that placed our campsite in a cemetery in a town near Tunapuna.
Our scout master had a sense of humour, but I can tell you that that night we were scared like hell.
However, what I enjoyed most after sports was stealing mangos and other fruit from around Mount's orchards.
Thanks to Brother Swa's diligent work and considerable time chasing mount boys away from those delicious Julie mango trees, they weren't picked clean within the first week of each semester.
We all have tons of great stories to tell; some real and others exaggerated.
However, you must admit that overall, except for a few like the Hungarian mafia (Urbano, Matthias, Ladislao, Csaba, Gerard Most, Peter Morvey, Keshkemeti, etc), the Italian mafia (Savorgnan  brothers, Giovani Marini, Pepe Brachio) and the Castro brothers, most of the Venezuelan students were perfectly behaved and quite saintly compared to the Trinidadian students.
I'm sure you still remember Salvador Coscarart from Venezuela.
Well, he lives very close to me here in Louisiana and I see him occasionally.
I believe he makes more trips back to Mount than anyone I know.
I presume he's making plans to retire up there.
Csaba came by for a visit a couple of years ago from Spain.
It was a real pleasure seeing him after so many years.
Every once in a while on a trip back to Venezuela, we meet with Urbano & Matthias, Manuel, Lipaski, the Castros, Esaias Farcheg, Allum and others.
Last year in Caracas it was great to have dinner with Urbano at my in-law's home.
So you see, every once in a while some of us still get together.
I've added a few pictures to show you what three old Goddard farts look like.
Brian is still in Venezuela and dreaming about retiring to Barbados.
Christian is retired and lives in Oklahoma.
I've been in Baton Rouge since 1991 working at LSU as a petroleum researcher.
Many think that because I work at a University I teach, but thank goodness I don't.
Unlike yourself, who I considered an excellent teacher, I have no patience for such demanding work.
If you are now living in the States and would like to visit us in Louisiana, you have a place to stay at my home anytime you would like to.
All the best,
Donald G. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel P. Boos
Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:33:37 PM 
Hi there, Clyde,
How nice to hear from you. It's been 47 years!
You may not remember me, but I certainly remember you.
We entered MSB  at the same time (56) and I finished Form 5 in '60.
How are you doing? 
I hope this email finds you in good health.
I appreciate your comments about the fellas you remember from the Abbey School, because it is through these casual words that I pick up new names
I'd not heard before, orelse I get clarification of other questions.
In this case, I have now heard for the first time, the names of:
1. Roy Taylor
2. Bill Peters
3. Pimsey Vieira (was his real name John - and if so, do you know when he attended MSB?)
If possible, can you let me have the email addresses and phone ## for  these guys.
Every little bit helps.
Keep in touch.
Nigel P. Boos 
cc. I'm copying this email to one of your BG compadres, Trevor Evelyn. 
He might know you / your family, and might like to contact you. NB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 25-May-08, at 12:48 PM, CLYDE VIEIRA wrote: 
Hi Nigel,
Got your e-mail from Roy Taylor in Vancouver.
Never seen or heard of this attached list before.
Met Bill Peters many years ago in Vancouver and never knew he went to the Mount.
You have my name listed as CLIVE VIEIRA, It is CLYDE VIEIRA.
I was at the Mount in 1956 to 1960.
Never graduated there on account of my Family move to Canada.
I was there with about 6 others from Guyana at the time.
I remember Michael King (who I notice passed away in 1999).
Also at the time there were Joe Vieira, Tony Vieira, Pimsey Vieira, Terrance Vieira, Simon DaCosta and his brother David DaCosta (deceased) and a few others.
It is nice to have a list of Former students, however it is difficult to remember names after so long a time.
I had the opportunity to visit the school and Abbey in 1998 and found both to be in excellent condition.
The school was not in session at the time.
I still have some photos available that I look back on from time to time.
My e-mail address is vieiraci@sympatico.ca
I reside in Brampton, Ontario, Canada and my phone # 905-4528319.
Thank you for keeping this list updated. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
"vieiraci@sympatico.ca"
Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:40:43 AM 
Hi Laszlo,
Thanks for your note.
I keep abreast of the circulars you send.
I read all of it, keep up the good work.
Yes, I spoke to Nigel this week.
I have a few pictures of interest to some MSB alumni from 56--60.
I will scan them this week and forward them to you.
As mentioned to Nigel, I have some difficulty remembering names.
I have a shot of Manual Prada that I am sure he will be interested in.
I came to Toronto Dec.1960.
With my parents migrating to Toronto from Guyana,
I was unable to graduate from MSB.
Finished school in Toronto and worked at Canadian Tire Corp. for 35 yrs. as a General Manager of Distribution.
Retired at the age of 52.
For the past two years Semi-retired and assisting my two sons in a new business venture enjoying it thoroughly.
I recently met Tony Vieira and his wife in Toronto.
Have not seen Tony in 49 years since I left MSB.
This came about because of your Old Boys listings.
Thanks for all your effort here.
As promised, I will forward the Photos as soon as I can.
Regards
Clyde Vieira  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
This is for now, keep well all of you. 
Regards,
Ladislao Kertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now you have all the exchange and photos.

60CV0001GUYANESE, unknows
60CV0002GUYANESE, good photo of some unknowns
60CV0003GUYANESE, four kids unknowns
60CV0004GUTANESE, again a bunch of unknowns





No comments:

Post a Comment