Saturday 31 October 2009

Circular No 417



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 31 of October 2009 No. 417
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Here are some of the interchanges that Nigel and I have been emailing, especially after we made a conference call from TT during my visit on the Association’s behalf.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some thoughts about the Circulars 
Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:47:33 AM 
Dear Laz,
(I hope I haven't left anyone out of this email response. I'm not trying to offend, but I'm trying to remember everyone who was involved in the recent conference call. Please accept my apology if I've forgotten anyone.)
Thank you very much for considering me for the role of coordinating the information which has been / is being developed re. the MSB Old Boys, sorting it, adjusting it, re-publishing it, etc., as was laid out to me during our conference call last week.
I have thought seriously about your proposal and have now concluded that I should not accept this responsibility.
My wife and I are on the verge of starting a new business which (we hope) will involve most of our time, and it would be ludicrous for me to consider adding to the work-load I already have, such as it is.
I shall, nevertheless, continue to do my small part in trying to bring our alumni together, through general database communication and through the occasional "Roti Night" type of thing.
Believe me that alone occupies a large part of my day.
I wish you success in finding someone to take over this responsibility, as I realize the terrific burden which you also are carrying.
Thank you, once again.
God bless us all.
Nigel Boos
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:36:15 AM
From:   Nigel P. Boos  
Laz,
Part of my problem, to be honest, is that I don't know the first thing about websites and how to input new data and remove existing stuff. 
Secondly, I want to / need to work at my own pace, without anyone screaming down my neck. 
Thirdly, I am very suspicious about Facebook. There have been too many abuses of it, and in my opinion, it is far too intrusive. I have never used it, and I don't wish to use it. Perhaps I'm being silly / ignorant but convince me otherwise. 
I believe that my simple contribution, such as it is, has validity for all the Old Boys, and I'm willing to continue trying, in my own way, to bring folks together and to network. There have been tremendous instances of this happening already, and I can testify to a few great ones. But, at the same time, I am not convinced that the Association, such as it is, is really as active as I'd like it to be, not pro-active enough and not offering valid and inspired leadership.  
Case in point #1: Why is it taking so long, (nearly 2 years) for them to decide what to do with the money we've collected and are holding for a gift of some sort for Kitty Marcus. She's getting older and older and older and will soon pass away and no-one can decide how to honour the old lady.   
Case in point #2: What's happening with the ASAA name. Last I heard, Peter Tang and Dennis Gurley were to meet and talk with Fr. Abbot. What's the status of this discussion? 
Case in point #3: There had been some great discussions about 2-3 years ago about plans for development of an Old Boys' Museum, etc. at MSB. A number of OB's, myself included, made suggestions. Whatever happened to those plans? I'd sure like to know. 
Case in point #4: Although I routinely send out database updates with significant information on the Old Boys, email addresses, etc., I have repeatedly asked for help with finding the information I need to complete the job, or at least to make it current.
With the exception of a very few comments made by certain individuals, I honestly cannot say that anyone in Trinidad or in Venezuela, for that matter, where the bulk of our alumni reside, has had the time, energy, interest or sense of commitment to devote to helping me to get the job done.  
Leadership? - I'm a little disappointed. Apart from organizing the occasional reunion dinners or the visit to the PoS dock (as in the case of Victor Zanelli's beautiful "Esmeralda"), I am unable to any real effort to build the organization. 
How about an annual soccer match? An annual cricket match? How about an annual golf tournament? Or a Tennis Tournament? How about an annual "All Fours Tournament"? How about organizing an Annual Holy Mass at the Mount, for the intentions of all the Old Boys, Teachers and Coaches of the Abbey School. How about taking over, with the approval of Fr. Abbot) the care, maintenance and supervision of the swimming pool, for use by local kids, with a pay-for-use policy? Leadership means, to me, having the guts to stick one's head out and to point the way to a future possibility and to encourage others to follow. I'm waiting to see that sort of thing, and I'm excited about the potential therein. 
I agree with you that there should be a "point man" appointed to act as the Facilitator of the ASAA and to be the mouthpiece of the organization, the person to whom, instead of you (you have enough to do, it seems, with your own job) emails, info., etc. should be sent for subsequent distribution. However, he should be based in Trinidad, where the action really is, and I again nominate Chris Knowles to be that person. 
Keep up the work you're doing, Laz. You are an inspiration to us all. 
God bless you and yours.
Nigel  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
On 13-Aug-09, at 3:23 PM, laszlo kertesz wrote: 
Dear Nigel,
Do not look for more work than what you are doing, because then you will find yourself working for someone and with no benefits.
The famous web page or Facebook that Gabriel was talking about is really the solution, all new information that are generated would go into this whatever, but the whatevers, are to be loaded into this "webpage" by individuals like you and me on a regular basis, lets say weekly in my case as is the Circular in Don´s Blog.
In your case maybe a monthly update of the list??
And maybe Chris doing the association’s efforts, etc?
So there is no need to take up the load of anyone, it is to let anyone do whatever they feel like doing but to have a common place to upload, with a webmaster controlling.
This is why Kazim´s page is not the solution, promises are easy to make, it is a Chavez solution as we say here in Venezuela. First you disrupt a working firm, promise to make it better after taking it over and then after a time it flounders.
So at the end, Nigel, do what you set up doing and do it as best as you can and have fun. If you want to take a vacation, do it, nobody is going to replace you, you are unique in what you are doing.
But if the Association cannot live up to its goals, why would we want to change duties or take over their efforts??. We might fail and then there is going to be nobody just as when Art gave up the effort after 16 issues.
When I decide to close shop I can do it at the wink of the eye, I hope that this will happen when the "webpage" is organized, and is financially solvent to run under its own steam and not because of an individual’s ego.
Nice to debate on this, hope there would be others that would do what we are not doing, or what the association has in mind.
God bless
Ladislao 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:55:38 PM

Laz,
Based on your notes, it appears that Chris Knowles was / is available to oversee the Circulars. If this is so, then I would strongly recommend that he be appointed to the position and that he be paid for his effort. Details must be left to the ASAA Team.
I would gladly participate in the Circulars, if a specific task were allocated to me. I'm sure others would too, but they need to be asked. 
Re Kazim, I'm not generally in touch with him, so I can't give an update. 
Blessings.
Nigel  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 12-Aug-09, at 7:59 PM, laszlo kertesz wrote: 
My answer to the items is in RED and Green is my general comments.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:32:07 AM 
Dear Laz,
First, I want to thank you for the first class job you have done over the past number of years, in trying to bring the Old Boys of MSB back together again, through the new technologies now available to us all. This would not have been possible in years gone by, but you have seen the opportunity and the potential for good, and you have quickly made use of it. Good for you, and again, thank you.
A few months ago, while you were in Trinidad, the ASAA team, together with yourself, made a conference call to me, and among other things, enquired whether I would be interested in undertaking a more active role in the compilation of incoming emails, photographs, subdividing groups of OB's, and whatever. I understood at the time, that your heavy involvement with your work was affecting your effectiveness with the Circulars. I wrote back to decline the kind offer, based on the fact that I am extremely busy with trying to set up a small business here in Canada, and I simply don't have extra time. I do what I can, on the side, to try to help the OB's, but I do not wish to be further encumbered.
Now, I got to thinking - what can I suggest to help you to cut down on your workload, and perhaps I have a few thoughts which might assist you. Although I run the risk of offending, this is not my intent, and I am trying only to offer a few words of brotherly advice:
The Circulars - When they first began some years go, they were fresh and highly interesting, and new to all of us. We appreciated their regular appearance and looked forward to receiving the updates. Since then, however, there has been increased correspondence through the internet between many of us, and we are reasonably aware of what is happening in various places. Guys are sending in photographs of each event, and these for sure are highly appreciated. But I suggest that the role of the Circulars today could be critically reviewed, to ensure that they do what they started out to do - to inform, to advice, to announce, etc. What we are seeing, though, today, is a repeat of information which has already been published and of letters relating to events long past. This must take a lot of your time, to have to compile these emails and to send the back out again.
I am suggesting that it might be profitable in terms of effort and time spent, simply to review events, perhaps on a quarterly basis, and to summarize, very briefly, what has happened, with a look too, to the future. 
Some headings which you might consider: 
1. Events of the Past 3 months - (Summary only), Good suggestion, I feel that you have the ability to do it, please start as soon as possible, let us say starting at the end of September to cover the months of June, July August.
2. Upcoming Events - if any, with some details of place, date, time, etc. Again this is is a good idea. I believe that Kazim is the guy with the web page. 
3. News from ASAA - (the Team could submit a paragraph, every 3 months, to you, for publication.) The same here, Kazim has offered this
4. News about the Mount (Fr. Abbot might be asked to contribute a paragraph). Again Kazim can coordinate this and include the news in the web page.
5. Featuring an Old Boy (all to be considered) - One paragraph. Since this is again something for the web page, you and Kazim can work together.
6. Our dearly departed - info on any recent OB deaths. Again web page news Kazim.
7. What did you do for the holidays? (OB's could be asked to submit 3 lines, which could be summarized). This I never covered, you might do this section.
8. Feature item - Your selection (Perhaps an article from some recent publication which you really feel we should see. Perhaps a special thought from you, as Editor / Publisher) 
These are merely some random thoughts, Laz, and I hope they help a bit. 
As I mentioned in the Telephone conversation, the Circular can only be replaced if and when someone sets up an automatic mailing system where every week news are sent out, maybe a weekly reminder of the web page with the happening that occur during every week at the web site. 
Because outside you and friends of friends, nothing really happens after the first couple of mailings.
I might be wrong but outside the 500 odd email addresses, and your email address effort, every week there are 20 changes in addresses, maybe 70 per quarter??? Nobody is going to check this amount every quarter.
Jon is right that there are generation gaps and even the Circular is junk mail for some. And some just delete the Circular upon receiving it and maybe even before looking at the photographs, and you know there is a limit to the quantity of old photos available.
I am realistic, it is an effort that I need not do, but can you tell me how many times has the Kazim´s web page been updated???, is it a regular affair??.
Let’s look at the Monastery´s web page?? how many times a year??
Even Don´s Blog, how many OB use it to comment???  There is traffic but could be that only few dozen use it??
I do not make illusions; the Circular is dead as soon as I type the last letter.
So I keep hammering out until there is no more news or emails received at headquarters.
Please take my answer just as you said, "maybe in risk of offending you". I take no offense and would like that the web page would take on some load, and cover all the 8 items that you mention.
But like I said in the TT meeting, to get this done someone must be HIRED, I suggested Christopher Knowles and he was/is available.
Free stuff nobody respects and you cannot ask results if you do not PAY.
We are doing this out of romanticism or what ever; maybe you have a better word for it.
I hope that my TT visit is not going to be wasted, just as our telephone conversation until today, when you made a resume of the items that need to be done.
Since I have not heard anything new since my return, it is refreshing to know that you are keeping the ideas rolling with "friends and interested parties"
Any news on KAZIM??
God bless
Ladislao 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
So now you have all the exchange and photos. 
Best regards, 
Ladislao Kertesz  kertesz11@yahoo.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
59NB0005UNKNOWNS, UNKNOWNS
59NB0003GRP, Bunch of UNKNOWNS
60NB0003RRGALT, Randal and Richard Galt
60NB0004NBOGRP. Christopher Webster, Wayne Vincent Brown and Nigel Boos





No comments:

Post a Comment