Saturday 28 November 2009

Circular No 421






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 28 November 2009 No.421
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
A note from Kazim.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ladislao, Nigel and Don,  
This is to inform you that I have changed the name of our website.
Since the 'asaatt' came up for renewal and we are having some issues with the 'Abbey' name, I have called the website:
Mount St. Benedict Alumni Association of Trinidad and Tobago. 
The website name is: www.msbaatt.com or www.msbaatt.org 
Kindly take note and send to our Alumni database please. 
I will also appreciate you spelling my last name properly in our circular/blog
My name is KAZIM ABASALI 
Thank you and I appreciate you very much. Keep up the good work.
Blessings to you and family.....Kazim
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
28 sept 2009
From: azizul mohammed  
Hello Ladislao,
I have just spent the last few hours reading the past circulars that you sent me,
Man those circulars bought back so many memories of the school life, and Trinidad itself.
Trinidad's so beautiful, and most of people so kind and caring.
Now a days most of us who live away are so scared to visit because of the crime, and a few bad apples.
I do visit often, but only for 2 or 3 days at a time.
I think on my next visit I will try to spent some more time and TRY to relax and enjoy my beautiful country.
Ladislao, thank you so much for these circulars, and keep up the good work.
Azizul 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: salo00011@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:45:48 +0000
Hello Ladislao,
How u doing, its been a long time since I last heard from u.
So are u still doing the newsletter, if u are I haven't gotten any since January.
If u are not doing it let me know what u need to start back doing it
Azizul Kenny Mohammed 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: john milne
Date: 28 February 2009 19:05
In the attached photos, the guy on the left in the third pic down with three persons is Gerald Kenny.
Bruce Milne 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
"Robert Huggins"
Caracas, 6 of January
Dear Robert,
Thank you for your reply.
Please send me your comments on the circulars???
During the setting up of the mailing list I only managed to send it to the 1960 class originally and slowly I am incorporating friends that have been corresponding with me and then for whom I have been getting their e-mails.
Thank you for bearing with me and my English!!!
When was your Form V graduation year???
What about your class photo???? Was there one???
Do you have a class list???
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Caracas, 24 of February
Dear Robert,
If you look at the dedication at the bottom of the photo you will see that it was signed in 1965, I had graduated, Form V, in December 1960 and the photo was given to me by PG Wilson in Washington D.C during my last year at the Catholic University of America.
He stayed a couple of days there before going to a scholarship somewhere in the US, I do not remember those details but I do remember the bottle of good Fernandez rum he gave me and the photo that I still keep.
At that time I was in the swimming team of the university where I noticed that scholarships were given to foreign coaches with good records, so after a while I made a comment to my swimming coach on PG´s situation.
Again by fortune I had stayed in letter contact with PG after I left the Mount, so I asked PG for his curriculum, which by the way he sent in hand writing, next I had to rewrite it in my portable typing machine. I am sorry that I did not keep the memorabilia of his hand writing and letters.
He was accepted and I met him in a Hotel next to the University, he was very excited and I presume all went well.
From your writing he got the opportunity the he deserved and placed him in the right direction, thank God.
I still have fond remembrances of his person and coaching, since I was in track and field team.
I lost contact with him after that, as I left the US in July 1965 for Venezuela and started to work in an area where communications were not the best, and all I remember is that someone told me later that he had a TV show in Trinidad.
God Bless
Ladislao 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Caracas, 24 of April.
Dear Robert,
It has been some time since I wrote to you, I hope that the circulars are to your liking, please tell me about them.
I understand that you are in Canada but maybe you can add some more details.
Yes I was in the St. Anthony house together with the others you mentioned.
I did Javelin and discus throw.
Good God, is this the English being written by a Mount boy who took Fr. Bernard´s language class??
Sorry for the questioning but the circular needs soul and body!!
God Bless
Ladislao 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From:  "Robert Huggins"
Date:  Fri, 27 Dec  07:40:04 -0800
Dear Las,
You now taxing my poor old fuzzy brain.
I went to Mount in 1959, assuming that I stayed until form 5, and went right through would have put my graduation date around 1965-1966, some where in that area.
Gordon Mitchell, if I remember correctly was about a year ahead of me.
At this moment that is all I can remember.
There is a good chance that a couple of names have been mixed, but hope that helps.
Best Regards,
Robert.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Thu, 26 December, "Robert Huggins" wrote:
Las,
I never graduated from Mount.
I left in Form 2 as I stayed down one year due to an accident that I had just before finals.
Robert.  
------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Mon, 23 December  "Robert Huggins" wrote:
Merry Christmas to yours.
The white stuff (snow) hasn't arrived in Calgary as yet, but I promise to send some to you if you send me some warm weather.
This -10 -20C getting too much for these old bones of mine, time to thaw out.
Have a great one and talk next year.
Robert. 
----- Original Message ----------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz" <
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 6:28 PM
Dear Robert,
I need your help for articles or short stories.
Boxhead told me that the rocket did fly??? Can you remember??
Did you build model airplanes???
What was your sports activity?
I just contacted a swimming coach that trained lads and lasses at our pool some three years ago.
The club is called, "The abbey aqua lads and lasses swimming club"
There is a little story on it. maybe I shall write on it.
Did you remember Fr. Francis? and the singing?
I am asking you all this to get new writer for the Circular Writers Guild now that the strike is over.
SO long my friend
God Bless
LAdislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From:  "Robert Huggins"
Date:  10 Jun 14:46 (PDT)
Hi Las,
As long as the MSB net work continues I will try to put in my 2 cents.
It's sad to see that so many went there but so few want to write about the things that we did while there.
I don't think that our stay was that bad that everybody wants to forget what they did, at least I don't.
Also I don't think that people are so busy that they can't spend 5 minutes to talk about their time at MSB.
Any how, I suppose that is life, and the world we live in.
No Las, I didn't build model airplanes, instead I watched you build rockets and try to get them to fly. But that's another story.
Actually my sports activity was swimming.
I was also giants B captain of the football and volley ball team, both championships which we won.
I also played cricket, and anything else that looked good.
Have no fear my friend I will try and put something together soon, but I need to get the cobwebs out of this old brain and try to remember some of the things we did.
I may have to try and contact Don Mitchell as I know he, his brother Gordon and I were always doing some crazy thing.
God Bless,
Robert 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
De:Robert [robert.huggins@3web.net]
Fecha:20/12/ 12:32:41
Hi Las,
It's been sometime since I wrote about MSB, and don't plan to start now. Maybe in the New Year I will try as for the past year I have been concentrating on getting my business established here in Canada.
We have been trying to get work going in the area of waste management, in this case animal and human waste and have been slowly making inroads into the market.
It would be nice to try and stimulate some interest throughout the islands, but have not been able to do any work down there.
Maybe there are some old MSB's who are interested in this area so they can contact me. 
In the meanwhile, I will like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family, and the MSB family all the best for the Christmas and coming New Year.
God Bless,
Robert.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Robert Huggins
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:28:50 PM
Hi Ladislao,
Thought you had dropped of the edge somewhere.
You bring back many memories of MSB, although some of them are not necessarily good.
However, that is what life is about.
Growing up is being able to take the good with the bad and make the best of it. 
The list you sent me is that just for my info, or are you looking for information on the individuals?
What are you up to these days?
My family and I are presently living in Alberta, Canada, and have been here for the last 10 years.
Still miss home, or more so the warmth of sunshine in the tropics, so who knows what will happen in the next few years. 
Keep in touch and God Bless,
Regards,
Robert  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Robert Huggins
Date: 28 February 2009 18:59
Hi Las,
How are things with you?
Haven't heard from you for quite awhile but still enjoy receiving the updates.
In the ODM5201 Reunion, the guy with the grey hair is Gerald Kenny.
Are you sure that in the picture with Manual Prada, and George Laquis, the 3rd person is Norman Sabga?
That is not the Norman Sabga I went to Mount with. 
Regards,
Robert  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Robert,
Yes there is a mistake that has been corrected.
It is unfortunate that Norman Sabga has not realised the mistaken identity.
Maybe he does not read the Circular? Jajaja
Ladislao 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
Now to the photos, please refer to the photos with the numbering system.
Regards,
Ladislao Kertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com
So now you have all the exchanges and photos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
09LK1770TTVISITDINNER, Dion Fakoory, Michael Howard and Christopher Knowles.
09NB0006REUNIONAJAX, This photo is waiting for names, Nigel !!!
58RB0003a2, Scouts group somewhere in TT.
69TF1886MEDALG, The best I could do with the photo provided, maybe Terrence Ferreira could send a better photo for the readers.












No comments:

Post a Comment