Saturday 5 December 2009

Circular No 422




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 28 November 2009 No.422
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Now a little on the Swimming Team. There is little information on the coaches and competition throughout the years.
Against whom did we compete?? Just internal competition??
Please send us some information as this is the only photo of the team.
I presume Bro. Rupert has some photos stashed away??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Aqualads Swim Team 1965 ??
...13 OCT 2009
From: Attila GYURIS
Nigel:
I think you got it, #1 is Gordon Micthell. 
I can't remember for certain if Ladislao was # 5 Grossman's first name, but if you think so, it must be.
I am sure P. Kecskemeti or Gordon would remember and verify.
So : #1 is Gordon Mitchell was the Aqualads team captain, holding the flag.
and # 5 is Ladislao Grossman.
Any others that are missing?
Attila Gyuris 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From:   Nigel P. Boos
Attila, 
1.         Would the chap holding the flag (#1) be Gordon Mitchell?
2.         Would Grossman's name, by any chance, be Ladislao?
3.         Acc. to my records, Wally Gillezau died in 1971. R.I.P. 
Nigel P. Boos 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2009-10-11, at 11:39 PM, Attila GYURIS wrote:
Dear Salah;
I remember Wally Gillizau. 
Sorry to hear about his death. 
How and when did he die?
He was a swimmer in the Aqualads Swim Team.  
Attached is a photo of the Aqualads competition swimmers line-up as of School year 1964-1965 apparently singing something.
This photo was taken sometime in early 1965.
Wally is #9 from the left of the photo ( from the Flag end) with the bent left knee.
He is standing between Dennis Gurley on his right and Michael Torry on his left. 
BTW, I am #13 from the left side of the photo, standing between Kumar on my right and Josh Shoemaker on my left.
Some of the names on this photo, starting from the left (flag) side: 
Maybe you or somebody can fill in or verify some of the missing names. 
To answer your question, I live in Southern California.
I have been living here since 1978, with as few breaks here and there for job related moves (I have lived for relatively short stints in TX, NY, GA, FL, but I always end up back here).
So I guess this is home for now. I have been here in SoCal steadily since 1986.
I saw the pictures of you guys with Salvador Coscarat in Montreal.
Over the years I have spoken with him a few times on the phone.
He lives over in Louisiana. People from Louisiana are affectionately called "coon-asses". 
Regards,
A.T. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From: Salah Wilson <sal_wils@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Matron Wilson
Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:24 AM
I recognize a few people whom I have forgotten by name...the chinese looking guy with the sunglasses seems to be another of my long time (elementary school) friend named Franklin Chin, 
I also see someone like Neville Tenia.
I also recognize Roger Farah.
I just got a couple of other emails, one is from Ian Gomes, and another from Roger Gillezeau ...Roger was in a bigger form than me but his brother Wally (who passed on R.I.P.) was in my class.....
Atilla are you living in Trinidad?..................
This year at my home in Montreal I had a visit from Salvador Coscarat, he came to my Steelpan school in Montreal with another friend who lives there Angel Da Silva.
I will still be in Trinidad for a few weeks more taking care of some business...so we stay in touch
Salah 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:34:53 -0700
OK... that's what I thought.
I think the tall skinny kid in short pants on the right of the picture is Johnny Garcia, right?
The boy tugging the rope who I am yelling encouragement to is Roger Farah, and I think I see Rudi Polderman's head half hidden behind there.
Any other faces / names you can recognize in the photo?
Do you have a picture of yourself at the Mount?
Attila Gyuris 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Salah Wilson <sal_wils@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Matron Wilson
Date: Friday, October 9, 2009, 8:16 AM
Tony Cedeno is the guy standing to your left (dark long pants encouraging the boys to pull) 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:46:24 -0700
From: gyuris@yahoo.com
Good one...Which one is Tony CedeƱo? .... now he sounds familiar.
Attila  Gyuris
++++++++++++++++++
--- On Wed, 10/7/09, Salah Wilson wrote:

From: Salah Wilson sal_wils@hotmail.com
Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 9:41 AM
Yes I was right, I remember you ...I will show the pictures to my Mom.
In the tug of War photo, I am happy to see my goof friend Tony Cedeno ..he lived near the playing field up the hill.
He passed on in 1991 may he rest in peace....good memories...thanks...will dig up what I can find and send it also regards
Salah (Willy) 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:11:44 -0700
From: gyuris@yahoo.com
Here are a few photos from those years. 
I hope they help you and your mom remember:
Picture of Tug of war in the sports field photo: 
I am the one in long pants yelling at he team.
Scout Camp photo: I am in front centre with the arms crossed.
Swim Competition photo: 
I am second from the left of the photo, with my hands open in front of me.
 Form I Class photo: I am sitting in front, 4th from the left.
 I live in California now.
Regards,
Attila Gyuris 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Salah Wilson sal_wils@hotmail.com
Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 6:45 AM
That's correct Willy short for Wilson...
My Mom sends her kindest regards to you after I read her your email thanks again 
I am trying to put a face to your name I remember your name and i am thinking of someone who could be you ...but we will stay in touch...where do you live now
Salah 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:37:48 -0700
From: gyuris@yahoo.com
Thanks... I think you were Wilson or Willie back then, right?
Attila 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From: Salah Wilson sal_wils@hotmail.com

Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 3:15 PM
Greetings Attila,
That is so good of you to remember my Mom,
I am taking the email and read it to her after I reply to you.
My name was not Salah when I attended the Mount but we were there together during that great experience I was there from (1963-1970).
I am trying to put your face together.
I am presently in Trinidad visiting my Mom and I just visited the playing field last Sunday to watch a local village game and I met Brother Rupert ( after 39 years). the memories are so great that this connection with the 'Old Boys' is something that I believe everyone cherishes, thank you again,
I have started a project with the 'Old Boys' .
I will let you know about it in my next reply to you ...you may use my hot mail address while I am in Trinidad. ....
Got to go and read your email to my Mom..she is now 90 yrs but well aware.
Take care and stay good
Salah 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Allan Harris
Dear Ladislao,
I hope you had a successful and enjoyable trip to Trinidad.
From this newsletter I've received a couple of emails from Old boy's of which two were from my time, Marlon DaSilva and Carlos Guio, both living in Canada.
The other two were from Esmond Lange living in Perth Australia, and Neil Charles Orlando FL.
The list that I sent to Nigel a couple of months ago I listed two Venezuelan brothers named Carlos and Luis Gonzales, when in fact their surname is Guio.
My apologies, but at least I got their first names correct.
The last picture in newsletter 393 of the re-union shows Gordon Mitchell, Dennis Gurley, Peter Tang, Jean Demelliac, and Andre Lazzari.
The person that is identified as Andre Lazzari is infact Gerard ( Gerry) Stauble.
Thanks once again for bringing us together.
God Bless,
Allan 
(corrections have been made, ed)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
De Gale email addreses
On 31-Aug-09...
From:   Nigel P. Boos
Thanks, Pete.
Info given to me indicates that Leo, Roger and Stephen were all OB's of MSB.
If Leo was the Governor General of Grenada, perhaps some of the "Really Old Boys" of MSB might recall him. Let's check.
Over to you, Old Fellas. Anyone remember a Leo De Gale at the Mount?
Nigel 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
at 9:34 AM, Peter Boos wrote:
Sorry Nigel I do not.
Stephen (Roger's brother) lives in France but I have not been in touch for years.
Who is Leo deGale? The only Leo deGale I know of was Roger's uncle who became GG of Grenada.
Did they go to MSB? When?
Peter 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Aug 31, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Nigel P. Boos wrote:
Peter,
Would you happen to have the email addresses for Stephen and Leo De Gale? or their telephone numbers, or mailing addresses?
I sure could use 'em, if you have 'em. (Just trying to complete the MSB database).
If not, - no problem.
Nigel 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Prep A 1956
Nigel P. Boos
Monday, May 4, 2009 9:50:28 PM
Thanks, George.
I really had no idea that you lived in the US. 
Good to know.
Call me if you're ever coming up to Ontario.
Nigel  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 4-May-09, at 8:52 PM, amickiew@comcast.net wrote:
Hi Nigel:
My telephone at home is 901-854-3950 and our address is 1684 Von Hall Dr, Collierville, TN 38017
Warm regards,
George 
----- Original Message ------------------------------------
From: "Nigel P. Boos" <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:41:56 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Prep A 1956
Thanks, George.
You've certainly helped to fill in some of the blanks for us.
Yes, I'd appreciate it if you could try to find George Iwaszkiewicz in France and let him know what we're trying to do. I'd love to get his email address.
Same for Luis Izquierdo
Same for Alan Ho. 
Now, as to my sister, Jennifer, yes, she did have a boyfriend who was a racing cyclist and who subsequently became an airline pilot.
He was a De Freitas from St. Augustine.
Jen later married Vernon De Lima, a criminal lawyer in TT and they have 4 children and 5 grandchildren.
She's still going strong, thank God.
As you say, it's a small world.
Would you mind letting me have your home address and telephone number?  
Maybe we can chat sometime.
Nigel 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Now to the photos.
Regards,
Ladislao Kertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com
So now you have all the exchanges and photos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
65AG0003AQUALADS, the only group photo of an aqualads team. SOME ARE STILL UNKNOWNS
68AG0004SPORTS, Tug a War.
65UN0001AQUALADS, Prize giving, UNKNOWNS
08DM5194REUNION2008, correction made, Gerard Stauble







No comments:

Post a Comment