Saturday 12 December 2009

Circular No 423



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 12 December 2009 No.423
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
I have just sent you a bunch of Circulars and did check you email address.
You are in the Gmail sending list with the Canadian and USA guys.
The blog always gets the Circular first, then I slowly send out to the particular or individual addresses.
The preferred address for reply is either kertesz11@yahoo.com or the address through which you receive the Circular.
Keep well
Ladislao 
----- Original Message --------------------------------------------------------.—
Ladislao Kertesz
28 Feb 
Dear Cornel,
The Circulars are still being published and today I sent out 381, please check the older ones at the BLOG site. http://abbeyschool2009circulars.blogspot.com/.
I am checking out if your address is ok.
Feel free to write, all persons have a different point of view and we like to keep alive the different opinions.
I have not opened the email on the roti session as I am trying to finish reading JANUARY at all my mail boxes.
I am going to start on the ROTI next week, although it shall be published latter on.
God Bless
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
2009/2/28 Cornel de Freitas <corneldefreitas@hotmail.com> 
Hi Ladislao,
First, thank you for your emails dated Feb.27th.
It has been a while since I wrote to you. 
I have been busy with a number of things, including a trip to Niagara Falls for a few days with Michael and the boys.
Did anyone send you any info on the Mini-reunion we had up here on Friday 22nd of February? 
I plan to write about it to you so o can use it one of your Circulars and I am going to encourage those of us that were there to write something to you telling the of that same event, but through their eyes.
Hopefully Nigel can add his angle and include to you the photographs that were taken at this "ROTILICIOUS" event.
I have not received any more Circulars since #379 I believe on February 7th.?? 
Haven't any others been published?
I look forward to hear from you.
GOD bless you and your loved ones
Cornel de Freitas ... 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:56:12 -0400
Dear Cornel,
Yes the email address is correct.
You shall see different addresses all the time as this the way I send them to those that are in Gmail.
You shall never see the other addresses as there has been a privacy issue a year ago and only Nigel is taking care of the main list.
I started in 2001 to give out the then list, but then I realized that some ALUMNI do not want to be addressed.
Of course if they write then they appear in Google etc.
Keep well
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
2009/1/24 Cornel de Freitas <corneldefreitas@hotmail.com> 
Dear Ladislao:
I wonder if you could shed some light on this for me.
I received tonight [Friday January 23 at 22:32:24] an email that was directed to Richard Anderson (manderson17@cfl.rr.com)] and the contents of which are a collection of letters and notes addressing the passing of our beloved father Benedict.
It says: From kertesz11 @.......
             To: manderson17 @......
but nowhere does it show that it was sent to me? ...yet I received a 'copy'. 
I am not complaining mind you, I am very happy to receive any and all info,
You see Richard was one of my friends at the Mount, and the last mention of him was in 2005, in going through the circulars that I have received that was the only time.
Is there a current email address for him?
I have also been trying to get in touch with "Jerry Bain", in a circular (2005) he was asking if anyone has heard from me and a number of other MSB brothers.
I realize how busy you are, so when you get a chance.
GOD bless:
Cornel 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From Cornel de Freitas
Date 21 February 2009 00:39 
THANK YOU Nigel and of course, the gracious Jackie, it was the most ....
The most simple, heart-warming, happy, and fun evening, with even a few surprises, especially the "TREASURE" graciously presented by Terrence.
Terrence, you are indeed, a very gracious person and in ways a treasure of a friend.
I was bubbling over with anxiousness to be there and it was a most rewarding evening, even the Roti was great.
I am very tired now, just arrived home after the 50 min. drive back home, and need to get some serious Zzzzzzz's, we are heading out to Niagara Falls, part business for Michael and part pleasure for the boys, but I will most definitely revisit this topic in the very near future.
Goodnight all, and may GOD bless you all
Cornel  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Cornel de Freitas
24 Feb  
Hi Nigel:
Michael asked if you can save the ".xlxs" file to a ".xls" file; we cannot open the one you sent - I don't know if Carlos can. 
Hi Carlos,
It was really a wonderful thing you did for all of us, by taking the time to come out and spend time with us.
Though I have never seen you before, when you walked in the room, I just knew it was you.
I hope you enjoyed the "Roti", personally, Michael and I thought it was absolutely delicious.
Someone at the gathering suggested the next time we meet will be in Mississauga.
I also love "Spanish cuisine"...
Do you know of any restaurants that you would recommend?
Nigel, How does that sound?
Maybe this could become a more regular thing - that would be real nice you know.  
(I don't know how to type that in "Trini", to make it read / sound as though a "Trinidadian" was saying it.)
Looking forward to hear from all of you,
GOD bless you all my brothers, as Nigel has reminded us,
Tomorrow is 'Ash Wednesday' the beginning of Lent.
Cornel ... ... 
I am not giving up 'Roti' or 'cup-cakes' (I hope "Jackie" - Nigel's better half heard me) ...Ha ha ha ha!...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:54:44 -0500 
Carlos,
Thanks for your kind comments and gentle reflections.
I am so happy that you found the time to come and share your company with us old guys.
Wasn't it wonderful how, in an instant, we were able to transcend time and space and put ourselves back into the past, back into our tiny world of Mt. St. Benedict, and, forgetting that we really had not known one another before that night, were able to come together as brothers in spirit and in the enjoyment of one another's company? 
Marvelous! 
I would really appreciate any help you can give me to identify the names and contact info for the boys who attended the Abbey School during your time.
In order to help you and to concentrate your mind, I have attached a file which, so far as I know (and I may be wrong) includes all of the students of the Abbey School between 1972-1982.  
Hopefully, you might be able to remember some of them, the years they were at MSB (approximately), how long (approx.) they were at MSB, any email addresses you might know, or any notes which you might remember about them.
Insignificant memories on your part can spark a whole wave of activity on my part.  
So here we go. Please see what you can do for us.
And thanks, Carlos, in advance. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:33 PM
From:
Rudi Singh
To: "sammy peter" , "Ladislao Kertesz"
Ladislao, 
On the contrary, while the efforts to move forward may have seemed to have stopped there has been countless emails circulating amongst each other.
In my humble opinion, this represents some sort of movement. We are communicating with each other and that is very important!
The agenda that was set out by the planning group may have been too ambitious but never the less it is a place to start! 
Siga delante con fuerza y con fe! 
Rudi
Regards
Rudi
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Monday, August 3, 2009 6:57:57 PM
From:   Nigel P. Boos  
Wonderful, Peter.
Thanks for the info.
Seems like you have indeed had a very useful and productive life.
I envy you the Costa Rica experience and have myself expressed the desire to get down there "one day".
I look forward to hearing from Luke - if he ever writes.
A few pictures of your orchids would be a treat! (Hint, Hint)
Nigel 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 3-Aug-09, at 1:10 AM, Peter Gorinsky wrote: 
Glad you liked those photos and I have been looking for others that I know exist in among my boxes of photos that I am yet to organize.
The photo of the MSB Choir was taken I think in 1957 at the Mount, maybe on the road leading down to the refectory from where we were loaded onto a bus to be driven off to P-o-S to participate in a competitive concert of college choirs.
I think we actually won the second place for our valiant efforts in all of Trinidad, if we did not sound right we sure looked real sharp!
I have been officially living in Costa Rica since 1974 and am presently retired but still very active in sportfishing, tropical flyfishing, beekeeping, gardening and extensive orchid growing.
My 'Life after MSB' continued with me having to leave then British Guiana to study in London and eventually began an odyssey through various professions that started with me heading research in the department of Psychopharmacology at the Royal College of Surgeons of England and continuing at the University of Tubingen in Germany until 1968 when I returned to Guyana for a family visit, got involved in the political turmoil of that time that culminated with my family being involved in the unsuccessful uprising in the Rupununi (Guyana) in 1969 and me being exiled to Germany.
There I then began a new profession in Gemmology and worked at the German Gemmological Institute in Idar Oberstein until I could no longer stand living in overcrowded Europe and headed back to the tropics to finally settle in Costa Rica in 1974.
Here I got involved in the promotion and development of the tourism industry and in particular the introduction of eco-tourism and sportfishing.
Now I have retired to my mountain top farm at a cool 4600 ft. altitude to enjoy my remaining years and finish various book writing projects.
My remaining family consists of a son and daughter who now live in Florida.
I will ask my brother Luke to contact you though I will warn he is not the best communicator.
Thank you for your great effort with MSB, wishing you the best of health and God Bless,
Peter 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 1-Aug-09, at 12:43 AM, Peter Gorinsky wrote:
Hi Nigel,
These are two photos that will certainly add to the collection.
The one is of me when at MSB and the other is of the Abbey Choir ... great escape to be away for a while during choir practise and being hassled by Fr. Francis.
Maybe we can fill in the names... I am the tall one at the back, fifth from the right.
I can name quite a few of the lads though... with a bit of strain to my memory.
Maybe if you put numbers to them, it will be a whole lot easier.
You have been sent 2 pictures. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Now to the photos 
Regards
Ladislao Kertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com 
So now you have all the exchanges and photos.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
09TF1886COMPASS, Compass used by Terrence Ferreira in scouting, Sorry for the definition but Terrence has not been forthcoming with requested photos.
08CF001CDFFAM, Cornel De Freitas and niece
59NB0001AJO, Anthony Johnson
59NB0002GRP, Boxing, an unknown with James Mac Seheult
58PG00001CHOIRMSB, The photo mentioned by Peter, sorry that it misses a lot of names.





No comments:

Post a Comment