Saturday 16 May 2009

Circular No 393





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 16 of May 2009 No. 393

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

I shall be in Trinidad by the time you are receiving this Circular.

Taking a lot of photos, and hopefully meet many oldboys.

Here are three ALUMNI, Allan Harris, Maxime De Comarmond and Glen Schaefer whom you must have met, all with interesting stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSB Old Boys of the 70's and 80's

Allan Harris

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:04:34 PM

Dear Ladislao,

It's good too hear from you, and glad to be able to contribute in getting information out there.

Thanks to you, Nigel and others for your work in keeping the Abbey name going, and keeping us all informed and in touch.

I'm presently living in Dubai with my wife Frances – Anne and two younger kids, Abigail and Shannon, ages 6 and 3.

I do have two older ones, Rebecca age 19 working in Trinidad, and Jonathan age 17 attending Brock University in St. Catharines, Canada.

When I left Mount in 1982, I went to work in the Oilfields in the North Sea off Aberdeen Scotland, and worked there for 2 1/2 yrs.

It was always my dream growing up to become a Commercial pilot, so I left the Oilfields and returned to Trinidad where I obtained my Private Pilots licence.

There was no stopping after that as I continued on to get my Commercial Pilots licence in the USA, and then the U.K.

My first job flying was with Nealco Air Services ( Neal & Massy ), and then BWIA where I spent 16 yrs.

After BWEE I worked for Caribbean Star out of Antigua for 1 year, and presently with Emirates out of Dubai since May 2007.

That summarises my life after school, but will need sometime to put together my years at the Mount.

I´m on leave starting tomorrow, and will be going to Trinidad until the 7th March, so as soon as I get back I''ll work on it.

Looking forward to your Circulars,

Take care,

God bless,

Regards,

Allan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM, laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Allan,

Good to hear from you and the list of names that you sent Nigel.

I hope that you are getting the Circulars, at least for some time.

Anyway now I can make the corrections as I did have your name for some years.

I checked the listing and you have never written to me, so please could you send me a short curriculum so that your friends might be able to correspond with you.

The Circular has been on for about 7 years. a weekly proposition but need input as you make it, with articles, remembrances and photos.

God Bless

Ladislao

Good to hear from you

----- Forwarded Message -----------------------------------------------------------

From: Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>

Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:09:25 AM

Subject: MSB Old Boys of the 70's and 80's

Hi, Allan,

Wow!

Thank you for this rather comprehensive compilation of the MSB students of "the latter days" I've been hoping that one of you guys would eventually step out and fill in the blanks for the rest of us, and at last someone has done it.

First class! You've extended the number of known OB's from 1101 to 1134, and honestly,

I believe that this email has been the single most comprehensive collection of OB's from any individual era of the Abbey School's history, and I thank you for your great effort in puling it all together.

Jackie and I would love to see you again whenever you come to visit in March.

Let us know when you plan to be here.

Nigel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 15-Jan-09, at 8:04 AM, Allan Harris wrote:

Hi Nigel,

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I've been meaning to email you for sometime now with a list of names I remembered that attended Mount during the time that I was there.

Some of these names may be on the list that you sent out in December, but from what I remember most you didn't have.


Boarders: Approx years of attendance

Andrew Arrindell - 78 – 83

Wayne Bernard - 78 – 80

Mark Belfon - 80 – 83

Niall Costelloe - 80 - 85 or when the school closed

Kerry Castillo - 80 – 85

Vitra Chankar - 77 – 82

Marlon DaSilva - 76 – 81

Norton Diaz - 78 – 83

Wayne DanClair - 77 – 82

Freddie DeBoulay 80 – 81

Paul Foster - 80

Roger Flood - 80 – 81

Carlos Gonzales - 74 - 79 2 brothers .


The only Venezuelans that attend during my time:

Luis Gonzales - 78 - 79 ''

Fernando Gonzales - 81 -85

Paul Guillen - 81 – 85

Allan Harris - 77 – 82

David Harris - 81 - 85


My cousin, Abby Hudson-Phillips 75 – 82

Russell Hope - 74 - 79 Bajan brothers

Sanderson Hope - 78 - 80

Arnold Lawrence - 77 – 82 Four brothers

Richard Lawrence - 73 – 78

Martin Lawrence - 80 – 81

Derek Lawrence - 80 - 81

Andre Lazzari - 77 – 82

David LaiQuong ( Chinese) 77 – 82

Brian Lezama - 76 – 81

Iain Milne ( Wabba) - 75 – 79

Ryan Maingot - 81 – 85

Robert Maclean - 79 – 81

Dennis Nock - 79 – 80

Richard Nock - 80 - 83 2 brothers

Christopher Nock - 79 - 80 cousin

Keith Permuy - 78 – 83

Rory Pasea - 75 -79 cousin

Anthony Pasea - 75 - 79 2 brothers

Gregory Pasea - 78 - 81 ''

Frankie Quensel - 75 – 79

'' Apple''( nickname) Rampersad 73 – 77 3 brothers

Anand Rampersad - 75 – 79

Shiva Rampersad - 78 - 81

Clinton Ross - 77 - 80 2 brothers

Gregory Ross - 77 - 82 ''

Jim Ross - 73 - 77 2 brothers

''Cowie'' (nickname) Ross 79 - 81 no relation to Clinton and Gregory

Harry Stauble - 75 - 79 2 brothers

Gerry Stauble - 80 – 82

Christopher Whiteman - 77 – 82

Lloyd Vidale ( Horse) - 75 – 79


Day Boys:

These are a few that I remember:

Robert Bates - 77 – 79

Raymond Decommarand 77 – 79

Albert Dematas - 76 – 79

Colin DeVerteuil - 79 – 83

Richard Emmanuel - 76 – 82

Alan Girod - 78 – 83

Gregory Milne - 77 – 82

Robert O'Connell - 77 – 82

Barry ( BIM ) Rostant - 74 – 79

Mark Robinson - 79 – 80

Larry Toolsie - 79 – 82


Nigel, it took a while for me to average the years of attendance of everyone as I always had to refer to when I started, who was in the same year as me, who were the room leaders when I was in form one etc, etc.

Anyway, I was able to come up with an approximation, so the next time you update the database at least we would have some more of the names of those that attended in the last 10 yrs of the school's existence.

When I went to Mount Fr. Bernard (Bobo) was Principal at the time, and when I was in Form 3, Fr. Vincent replaced him.

I'm saddened to hear about Fr. Benedict's passing, but he sure gave all of us entertainment during our years there.

I hope I didn't give you too much work in this email.

Frances and I will be spending a few days in Canada in March, so will like to see Jackie and yourself.

Will be in touch,

Best Regards,

Allan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Allan Harris

Friday, January 16, 2009 12:52:28 AM

Hi Nigel,

This list has been sitting on my desk for about 4 months, and it was just for me to try and find the time to fill in the dates of attendance.

I feel a whole lot better now getting it to you as I know how much effort you and other OB's have put into compiling MSB students.

If I remember anymore names I'll email them to you.

We will be in Toronto during the first week in March, so will call you when we get there.

Glad to be of any help in keeping the Abbey name going.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Allan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Allan Harris

Date: 16 February 2009 21:10

Hi Ladislao,

The second to last picture from the bottom with the group, the gentleman that's standing infront to the right is Andre Lazzari.

Allan Harris

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Ladislao Kertesz

20 Feb

Dear Allan

The photo was taken in November at the reunion.

Do you have Andre Lazzari´s email or telf no.

Does he live in TT

In Internet there is an Andre in Brazil

God Bless

Ladislao

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Allan Harris

1 Apr 09

Dear Ladislao,

Hope all is well.

The Aircraft is a Boeing 777-300ER on a flight from London Gatwick to Dubai.

Just another day in the office.

I hope this is in time for your next publication.

Best Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: "Schaefer, Glen O CIV MSFSC, N02M" glen.schaefer@navy.mil

Sent: Monday, February 9, 2009 6:39:32 PM

Ladislao,

I know the reunion is now a pleasant memory to all who attended and I do apologise for the late input.

Life has just been very challenging since my return from the reunion.

I did have a remarkable time with all the ole boys some I knew and many I did not know, but it was very enlightening to meet fellow alumni and most of all share the bond that we all have for this institution we all call "Abbey".

I do not want to beat a dead horse but as great a time I had I am truly committed to the idea that the next reunion we dedicate a day to community service for the Mount.

It is a known fact that enrolment in the vocation is at a very low and there is a tremendous amount of environmental efforts we can offer to uplift the facial appearance of the Mount.

It is all great to eat and drinks with old class mates but we can contribute more at our next reunion.

During my travels around the world with the navy I have donated many hour of my time to improving schools hospitals and orphanages usually in a forty eight hour visit to that facility.

I call upon by abbey brothers to come prepared at the next reunion to give back to our beloved Mount Saint Benedict.

There are also more photos to post.

Peace.

Glen Schaefer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Happy Easter

Maxime De Comarmond

Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:03:31 AM

Greetings from Pax Yogurt and Mt. St. Benedict.

Father Cuthbert is doing very well and told me to send you a short note wishing you a very happy and holy Easter 2009.

God Bless

Max

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So now you have all the exchange and photos.

That is for now, till the next one

Ladislao Kertesz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09AH0289AIRPLANE, Allan Harris workplace.

09AH0291AHA, The Captain himself.

56KA013SCOUTS, A very low quality photo but interesting, hope Kenneth can retake.

08DM5194REUNION08, Gordon Mitchell, Jean de Meillac, Andre Lazzari, Peter Tang and Dennis Gurley.

No comments:

Post a Comment