Saturday 23 May 2009

Circular No 394





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 23 of May 2009 No. 394

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Sorry for the tardiness of this Circular but besides the amount of work at the office in front of the computer, I am having what is known as “Writers Block”. My muse has taken a vacation!!!

VISIT TO TT OF LADISLAO KERTESZ

But even so I must send this Circular out so here we start on my recount of the .first day of my visit to TT, Friday 15th.

I have sent you an itinerary in my last few Circulars, which I felt was necessary so that friends and those who might want to meet me could make a schedule of their time. Of course as time approached there were a few modifications of the event.

So to proceed in a chronological fashion, and to make my writing to you easy, I shall start with the first day and leave the following days for other Circulars.

I took the Caribbean Airlines flight 401, leaving 09:00 Maiquetia airport on Friday the 15th, to Piarco. This is the regular scheduled flight 6 times a week, that I recommend to Venezuelan alumni wishing to visit the island.

The flight, a twin engine prop plane was uneventful and arrived on time. The health authorities and the customs officers treated us well and it just seemed as it were a local Venezuelan flight.

I walked out of the official area to extension hall area where there was a taxi supervisor in control the taxi vehicles, very nice, and close by there was a phone and general help office.

Since I had not remember any details for an arrangement once the flight ended, and did not see any familiar or close to a familiar face, I decided to sit down and rethink the next step.

While I recollected my thoughts as to the next step to take, I recalled no mention in the last emails as to someone meeting me, even so I decided that it would not be any problem, my worry was the lodging.

I knew that there was a reservation at a guesthouse in Valasyn, but did not have any additional information. I even wrote in the immigration card Valasyn Hotel, luckily no one asked further information.

I took out my Excel sheet with the thousand and odd alumni listing.

I looked up Christopher Knowles’ telephone number and wrote into my cellphone ( not good in TT), and began to ponder the next step, a telephone stall or tourist help desk. Since I was not in a hurry and was enjoying the day, specially listening to the TT English. I found it interesting the effort that my ear was having in comprehending 100% what was said on the loudspeakers, it had been just 5 years since the last time I went to TT on a short one week visit.

While meditating the situation, Chris appeared, luckily he had not shaved his beard. The Reunion 2008 photos were mirrored images.

I was very happy that he came as I am sure that had another guy come I might have missed him.

We started out towards the entrance hall were Chris bought a lottery ticket and I seconded him, who knows maybe get lucky in TT.

We talked about the events going to the vehicle, which was a blue van on loan from Toddy Ramsahai, maybe some one mentioned to him that I was a tall individual and did not want me to use Chris car, sorry I did not meet him during my visit.

Getting accustomed to the right side drive is another matter, I started to go to the right side something that we do here in Venezuela and was reminded to go to the left side was a constant reminder. I always find it funny on how one gets accustomed to routine and how many times I would remind myself in the next few days.

The next step was to check in the guest house, Norma's 2 Aruac Rd, Valsayn, Trinidad - 645- 9746, a fine nice house with 15 rooms, well furnished, pool, and breakfast.

The guest house was in a new neighbourhood rather far from anywhere. Although I was told where the closest Mall was, at an evening walk would have taken a good 15 min.

Having left the luggage we left to go to lunch in PoS, Chris took me to a place where the menu had included the possibility of a salad bar with a sign (ONE TIME).

We talked about the official plans or schedule and reminisced about the past and since there was nothing scheduled for the early afternoon, I asked to see, Alex de Verteuil.

Chris is very good at locating contemporaries, so after lunch we drove over to his office.

Next we went to see George Laquis, at his office and was invited for a Tea at a shopping mall.

Chris invited me to his home while he got ready for an event at the Queen´s Park Oval. Next we drove back to the Guest House and about 19:00 left for the Club.

In the evening we went to The Queen´s Park Cricket Club to see who might be there and if there was a chance of winning on of the three cars that were raffled that night.

We got a ticket for door prizes, but had no luck, even with that additional help.

There was a large attendance and met Tilson Tang, Robert Elias and Brian Lara although not an alumni but famous enough for those that follow cricket.

At a distance we saw Michael Howard but by the time that we took photos he had left.

Guess what, no cars or even one door prize, but lots of calypso music and fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------.

Monday, April 27, 2009 1:19 AM

From:

Hi Ladislao,

The Abbey has mass three times on Sundays @ 5.15am, 7.00am and 8.30am.

The daily at 6.45am (I'm usually there most mornings)

The Abbot, I will send him e-mail later.

Regards,

Chandra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:21 AM

From:

Dear Ladislao,

I am now back in TT (at last).

I am meeting with Joe on Friday morning and will be emailing you on Saturday evening with more information; I will be dealing with all arrangements for your visit myself from now on.

I wanted you to know this right away as time is getting short and I do not want you to have anxieties!

Best Wishes,

Chris.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:53:49 -0700

From: kertesz14@yahoo.com

Dear Chris

I am back in Venezuela.

I shall publish in Circular 390 the emails on my future visit .

I do not know if you are back in TT, but can you tell me about my idea of a get together of Class 1960??.

This outside the general gathering of all the years that the Association wants.

I know that you have forwarded my email to you to the members of the association but I rely on you as you were my classmate.

Maybe by now there is a guy assigned to the coordination.

My only handicap is knowing the evening when there is going to be the dinner or a get together informal type, to keep costs down just as it was done at the last reunion??

God Bless

Ladislao

----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Dear Winston

Thank you for the transportation offer, I have not done any planning because of the lack of a date.

So I have chosen the 15th of May Friday to arrive by air as the ferry has only one trip a week.

I believe that Friday is good as that leaves the first night with a possibility of meeting.

Now the main meeting day would be Saturday??? and then there is Sunday for other post meeting.

I shall make the local connections on Thursday maybe so that Monday etc. can be devoted to my friends or what ever comes of the weekend talks.

I make this sound like if I am Michael Jackson going on tour, jajajaja, but I am just letting you know that we can have the weekend and Friday night to play with.

Maybe one general meeting is all that we need !!!! A dinner and nothing else.

So with this first schedule you can comment your thoughts.

I know that you are busy guys and even weekends are precious, I understand because I feel the same way.

Maybe the trip will help as a unstress therapy.

Lots of sightseeing, maybe a Mayaro trip??? You make the plans.

Of course the Monastery and maybe an access to Fr. Benedicts photos?? can you arrange, Monday, Tuesday???

Mass on Sunday???

Can you tell me your phone number again and when is convenient for me to call.

So here we start, keep well

Ladislao

----------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Chris Knowles knowlescb@hotmail.com

Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 8:56 PM

Dear Ladislao,

Please forgive my tardy reply. I have been away from computers and email since the beginning of last week and this is the result.

My situation is that I should be back in Trinidad by Sunday 26 April but there is a chance that I will not be able to be there until the following Sunday, May 3.

(My plans may have to be changed.)

I am sending a copy of this to Joe so that as the man on the spot, so to speak, he can do what is necessary at this stage.

As to your schedule, it seems to me that we can arrange things to suit you, with the photography session being the tough item.

Please note that the dates/days on your schedule are a bit confusing - a slip of the pen?

Best Wishes,

Christopher.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:23:53 -0700

From: kertesz14@yahoo.com

Dear Christopher,

I have told you about the trip next MAY.

Here is the first version of the schedule that I am sending you so that you may add information, modify etc. and can send out emails to those that it may concern.

I know that you are not in TT but I must finalise the schedule on the 15th April so that I can avoid surprises.

Naturally nothing is rigid.

Ladislao

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:44 AM

From:

Dear Ladislao,

The present agenda for your visit is as follows.

Friday 15th: Arrive 11.20am Piarco, Evening get together with some Old Boys.

Saturday 16th: 1.00pm Meeting with Committee members at Dennis Gurley's office to discuss matters relating to the proposed Association constitution.

7.30pm Dinner at China Palace Restaurant with many Old Boys, including some 1960 classmates

Sunday 17th: 7.00am Fishing trip down the islands and North Coast. (Small Group).

Monday 18th: Your Visit to the Airport (during the day). 4.30pm Committee Meeting (at Omega Pest Control office at 'My Office at Uptown Mall', Edward Street, POS.) to discuss the use of existing social networking media, aims, content and related matters.

Tuesday 19th: 10.00am Trip to Toco with Joe Berment and others.

Wednesday 20th: Visit to the Mount.

Thursday 21st: Leave from Piarco at 7.00am.

If there are any changes or additions that you wish please let us know either by email or when you arrive.

We look forward to seeing you.

Chris.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:30 AM

From:

Dear Ladislao,

Thanks for this information.

I am going to the Mount today to make arrangements about Fr Benedict's photos.

It seems that this may not be as straightforward as one might assume, hence the personal visit.

I will email you again about this and other details late tomorrow.

Chris.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 17:28:26 -0700

From: kertesz14@yahoo.com

Dear Chris,

Today I bought the aeroplane ticket 15th Friday to TT, should be in by 11am

Return 20th Thursday, as there is no flight on Wednesday, leaves TT around 11am.

Shall keep you informed.

Ladislao

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

John Gioannetti Photography

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:39:00 AM

It would be great to meet you when you visit in May 2009

I live in Central Trinidad.

Where will you be staying.

You have all my contact data below.

John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Chandra Teelucksingh

Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:36:13 PM

Hi Ladislao,

Look forward to meeting you.

I am not at UWI, I do trade consultancy for Caribbean manufacturers.

My mobile is 680 6424.

Best wishes

Chandra

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:18:28 -0700

From: kertesz11@yahoo.com

Dear Chandra,

From the following email, I am planning to make a visit to TT in MAY.

Hope to see you then? I believe you are in UWI?

We can then talk about our group here in Venezuela.

God Bless

Ladislao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So now you have all the exchanges and photos.

That is for now, till the next one

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

09LK1752TTVISITALEX, Alex De Verteuil

09LK1753TTVISITLAQUIS. Dr. Geoge Laquis

09LK1754TTVISITELIAS, Robert Elias

09LK1760TTVISIT,

No comments:

Post a Comment