Saturday 27 June 2009

Circular No 399





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 27 of June 2009 No. 399

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

I am including the following emails as an example of when you forget to send a photo attachment with your comments.

Please check you emails and send us photos, the Circular lives from your emails.

The first msg is missing the photo and I am sure that it is on its way for the next Circular.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"QNOISE@aol.com"

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:02:24 PM

Beach Party, perhaps 1964.jpg (209KB

The attachment is worth a good laugh, doesn't it?

Later on The Interpreters would grow from this musical seed.

Left to right: Cuna, Jerome DuBarry, Jose Fernandez, Peter Tang, Michael Marchock, Unknown, Terrence Ferreira, Leonard Lee Tung, Norman Smith, Richard Anderson, Jeffery Comacho.

(Terrence, please send me the photo Beach Party, perhaps 1964.jpg, ed.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------.

"gevelyn1@bellsouth.net"

Thursday, February 7, 2008 7:46:30 AM

G#1,

You hit the right note as the only thing I can play OK on the guitar is the minor pentatonic.

Three Kings---you missed uncle BB.---- Albert was the one string man and they all copied your partner Freddy.

One of them was a Booker T @ MG's but I cannot remember which.

The only white-man is Clapton and the only black man that sounds white is Cray. Smile.

As for the Den-Man that would be Tim.

The forestry commission still looking for him for wrecking the environment.

And you were the king of mischief. Secret places in our own back-yard.

Imagine if they had a hardware store close by.

I was probably the biggest burglar when it came to potassium nitrate, sulphur and carbon.

As soon as Kitty (the Queen of Mount most loving Lady) turned her back, the bottle of oxygen maker was gone.

Learned to blow a tree in two from Ian "Professor Fate".

I turned them into perfect lean-up-on trees in one bang.

The thing I enjoyed most was the cook-ups of stolen grub from Mrs Tardeaer.

It was good times and my education suffered as a result.

I had to go back to High school in Florida at 27 years old before I could be accepted into College.

The only GCE I passed at Mt was English.

Saludos G#2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Thursday, February 7, 2008 6:20:17 AM

Dear Glen,

I hear yuh man. Let’s get the party started again. on a musical note, Stevie Ray copy Hendrix who copy Freddy King, who copy Albert King, what's your comment on that blues brother??

Listen carefully you can hear it so clearly.

Your buddy Doug on pan, he's good man I cc. Wayne Hackett and David Decastro to check it out also.

Also I would like to say sorry to our Vene. brothers for things that were said which we had no control off, however I will add the spitting game is not an English sport.

As Bob Marley said who the cap fit let them wear it.

Lets get the ball rolling, how about some good Den building stories, Den finding and destroying, Dens that was never found, Tim might remember we had a den nobody ever found , ah get a good red belly for that one, but ah never told them where it was, remember Tim.

Let get back on track, Have a nice lent day one and all,

Glen McKoy....

(The JAM is still planning, ed.?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:32:07 AM

G#2,

You've got the blues.

I'll see you at the crossroads. you can play guitar, I play a Hammond B3 organ o.k. get Che on bass, David could sing, Hudson on Piano, Wayne on pan, hire a professional drummer so we could sound good ha ha..

I remember when we heard this big bang and a tree fell down somewhere out here, we thought one of you guys were dead.

When I came to Halifax in 1975, Ian Alphonso was here and Roger Farrah, and Hudson and other boys from Trinidad, we all came up to Saint Mary's University,

I lived there for 3 years, best time of my late teens, did the same things played music, party all week Ian Alphonso / always 2 classes ahead of his peers, he lives in Canada, Toronto not sure, but Hudson could find him.

He got married to a girl from Nova Scotia.

Yeah his father was one of Eric Williams doctors right. (Professor Fate) Hudson and Ian was here before me, Hudson got in right after mount.

Ian would be kissing his girl friend; he would be half drunk and still beat me at chess.

I took my game serious. ha ha G#2 I think Jon was right be careful of who we cc. ing to.

I was talking to another brother and it seems to me on that last forum it must had about 100 people reading our personal chats from all over the world.

That was not on the list, words from the wise ones before us.

Isn’t that special, any how moving on, G#2, Tim sends me an email, asking me, if I am leaving the forum, Tim, I only saw 2 notes from you, one I'm sorry and the other one, are you leaving the forum, ah learn a few phrases from the last forum ah might have to share with you, so Mr. forum we waiting for your input...............

G#1gone. (Parrot troop) proud member (since 1968).......

--------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Saturday, February 9, 2008 1:00:05 PM

Brother CheChe,

You stood so proud for the mount, when the stones were been thrown.

I sensed your pride for the mount.

100% and you never altered.

As a fellow musician, we are naturally in tune.

Love where you are, love who you're with and love what you do and don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it’s already tomorrow in Australia.

As a fellow thinker, The Lesson:

The people who make a difference is your life are not the ones with most credentials, the most money, or the most awards.

They are ones that care my friend; so many brothers are giving their time, in many ways, to make this brotherhood stand on its feet.

This was all I could offer on behalf of the hippies from sixties

Take care

Glen.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

azizul mohammed

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:31:09 PM

I remember a night after lights out Gerard, I and a few other guys snuck out.

Went down to the disco/pub at the back of the scarlet Ibis hotel, after a few hours of drinking and dancing we all look up to see Fr Cuthbert,

He walked straight to our table and said "are u guys ready to go up" we all said "yes father" and we all walked silently to the van,

For about 2 days he didn't say anything the suspense was killing us so much that we all went to him to discuss what happen and that’s when he gave us a week of penance to write a book,

Would u believe afterwards he told us that he completely forgot about us I never believed him Cuthbert he never forgets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Rafael Echeverría

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:22:23 PM

Hear ! Hear ! for Glen Mckoy !!!

Glen... my man! ... you really show the best of you and make the best of others zoom out!

Thank you Glen for your words in favour of "silent heroisms" and silent heroes.

As I have been telling all the Mount Boys I can, I have been working on the idea of Mount Boys Chronicles....

Your emails are filled with stories and anecdotes all the time .. and recognitions for those who have done so much for all of us ... that's just great.

So you are a musician as well?

Well... just yesterday I met with some friends from Maracaibo, Venezuela, my old home town.

We had a good "descarga" (JAM !!!) we went all the way through Beatles and Rolling Stones... Steppenwolf ... some other stuff ... .

I used to play with these guys many years ago in a group called BLONDER (that was after my Mount Times with "Chains" with Norman Smith .... "Forminks" in England ... "Zumo" in Venezuela,,, my most recent experiment for 12 years !!! ...

I've been around you know... ). So .... we had a GREAT TIME yesterday afternoon ... 3 hours ... digging it ... and I am so happy for the blisters on my fingers ... I got all the "dust" out.

I play the bass .... Fender Precision Plus... prototype. A real "train".

We are planning to have a presentation around May or June here in Florida, I believe it will be in Weston City ... not sure yet.

I would like so much to take those guys to Trinidad.

My God ! That would be a great celebration.

I have also been in contact with Glen Evelyn our common Mount Boy mate who lives here in Florida as well (also a musician and guitar luthier !!! .. as a hobby !!!) ...

He is now in the Middle East on professional duties and will be returning in about 40 days ... his lovely wife Dawn called me to let me know.

Glen has his workshop in Ft. Lauderdale, very close to my home.

So I will be visiting with him for sure and hope to get some guys together and JAM !

Some day ... some day ... I will go to Australia ... what a beautiful folk music you guys have out there ! ... I mean ... down under ... JA JA !!!! ... what a great rock 'n roll you've made ... Men At Work is the best example ... I know there are many others of the 60's but I particularly like Men At Work ... I find there rock n' roll is ... shall I say .. so "raw" ... their "playing" sound simple but they get such a great product man ! Incredible!

You know ... this is soooo great ... to meet people like this.

How can anyone not feel proud.

I mean .. honestly proud of forming a part of such a great experience of having been a border student of The Abbey School of Mt. Saint Benedict.

We learnt so much about life and people. About ourselves.

And here we are ... 20...30 .. 40 ... years later ... talking to each other and enjoying our lives! ... and seeing how all have progressed ... hace children... grandchildren .... come one ! ... Isn't that jest great ? ... How cool can that be ? (as my yourger son would say) I STILL learn so much .... sooo much ... about you all and from you all.

GOD Bless you all man .... you are all sooo cool.

Un Abrazo .. Siempre Amigo !!!!

CheChe ...

PS .. Hey ... I have got some fantastic anecdotes from Salvador Coscarat and have contacted Attila Gyuris ... he already sent some photos with his Father .... the first day at Mount .... it reminded me of how sacred I was at that moment myself .... Gabriel Hoeffle and Paul Kecskemeti are also in the photograph ... . JAJAJAJAAJ .. incredible !!! ... It's GOLD !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Hi Nigel,

On behalf off all, a million thanks for your time in putting together this master list, we need a roll call at times.

Some names I am not seeing Wayne Chan, Roger Juman (allan brother), Raymond Morris (Arima) Barry and Brent Ferreira (spelling might be wrong) Raymond McCartney (spelling might be wrong) he was the captain of the abbey school combo before our band (cosmic vibes) also Francis was drummer, his father had died while he was on mount, he went to the states after that. Also Milton played drums with the band.

Silver bullet played bass I don't remember his real name, but some one out there will , also Donald Commission (spelling bad) he was a really good cyclist from south. Also Gerald Khan, and a few other Khans from south.

Also Chandra Teelucksingh and brothers (please forgive my spelling, just going from the top of my head.

All these guys are in Trinidad, so please some one in Trinidad help with information....

Thank again for you time Nigel

Best Regards,

Glen McKoy.........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Saturday, February 9, 2008 10:09:12 AM

TO ALL MY BROTHERS / #1 RESPECT TO WHERE WE USE TO LIVE - EAT & SLEEP /MSB- ABBEY SCHOOL- / FEB.8TH/2008

PERSONAL INTEGRITY

Being happy with yourself and your work requires personal integrity, an integration of the many parts of your personality working together as one cohesive whole.

People with personal integrity don't act one way at work and another way at home. They have the same standards of honesty, behaviour and emotional response wherever they are. Strive to bring out the best in yourself and others.

Remind yourself to help others who need help. and be generous with your time and energy.

Your reputation and enthusiasm will soar.

EMOTIONAL VITALITY

To remain emotionally healthy, you must be able to recover from past and present disturbing situations and enrich your connections to people and events.

I've found that during the first half of life, experiences of joy usually emanate from events that go your way.

During the second half of life, however, emotionally healthy adults are capable of experiencing true joy despite the things that might happen to them.

We lose the grandiosity of youth that says we can and must be the force at the centre of life.

Unfortunately, most of us have little emotional training before midlife, so we have trouble responding competently to anger, pain and fear.

Interacting well with others requires that we be able to establish caring relationships and unify the strong and sensitive aspects of our personalities.

Example: Are you happy when you give someone a gift?

For mature adults, the satisfaction of giving a gift far outweighs the thrill of receiving one.

In fact, experts call this altruism the hallmark of maturity and the foundation of satisfying relationships.

Important: Do not compare your successes and failures with those of others.

This will deflate your view of yourself unnecessarily.

You will underestimate the value of what you have done, or you may end up with a false sense of superiority that will squelch your motivation.

SPIRITUAL SERENITY

Midlife spiritual anxiety is exceedingly normal.

If we don't struggle to find more satisfying answers to age-old questions about life and our mortality, we risk facing old age with fear and anger as main companions, Its helpful to come to terms with life.

Our mortality is less frightening when we feel we have made the most of our lives.

Give in to feelings about your mortality.

Crystallizing your feelings can lead to a clearer sense of life purpose and greater degree of life satisfaction.

Best regards to all, its lent , just a peaceful note to my brothers

GLEN MCKOY

Parrot-troop/ proud member since 1968/ big Hi to G#2/Tarzan/ and company/ hippies from the sixties/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Here are some photos that are a continuation of the Fishing Trip.

Regards

Ladislao

So now you have all the exchanges and photos.

That is for now, till the next one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09LK1782TTVISITIFTB, Capt. Iftica Juman.

09LK1786TTVISITBEACH, a photo of the cove where we stopped.

09LK1781TTVISIT, Ladislao Kertesz Editor

09LK1780TTVISITDENB, Dennis Gurley

No comments:

Post a Comment