Saturday 4 July 2009

Circular No 400





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 4 of July 2009 No. 400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Here are the events for Monday 18th of May and the continuation of the narrative of my visit to TT, the Fourth day.

FOURTH DAY (Monday)

I met with Llewellyn Macintosh at a restaurant close to FM 91.1 down town.

Chris and I had a talk with him on his past teaching experience at the Mount.

I inquired on P.G.Wilson, my Athletic Sports trainer who had a nice track record in TT, reaching to be on the Olympic committee.

Since the radio where he works is also a Sports Radio with Soccer and Cricket matches being transmitted, so I thought some of his colleges might have news on where to get printed information.

Also we asked him on Bernard Tappin, and he told us that they met once in a while and would get the information that I needed.

I visited friends at Diego Martin where Chris and I had lunch.

We got down to Dennis Gurley´s office for the 17:00 meeting regarding the association.

Below you will find a short resume on about the interactive web page o facebook using filtering system to avoid the problems of importing, exporting unknown friends that the Association wants to unite efforts for the common good.

----------------------------------------------------------------.

Here is part of the planning that started in 2008.

From: Chris Knowles knowlescb@hotmail..com

Received: Friday, February 6, 2009, 11:55 AM

Dear Ladislao,

My apologies for not emailing you sooner.

I have been out contact with everyone for about ten days but now things have returned to normal.

At our meeting on January 25th we realized that it should be most practical if you could make your visit to Trinidad in April, perhaps sometime after the Easter period, depending on whatever commitments, family or otherwise, you might have around that time. (The international governmental meeting is in the first half of April). We want to integrate our activities with Old Boys who are outside of Trinidad, and so are developing a unified website which will be on offer to all Old Boys.

This has been the creative work of Kazim Abassali, and we consider that you should be a part of this effort and so feel that a meeting including both of you is important.

Our first proposed project is to have existing priests and prominent old boys interviewed by an old boy and have the audio/video interview with a biography on the website.

We are concerned for obvious reasons that we need to act soon to speak to our former teachers.

As to your visit here, we will pay for your accommodation for up to four nights.

We have contact with a small hotel in Valsayn which is a suitable place.

If there is a time for your visit which is better for you than around Easter please let us know, as we are flexible.

Once more, I apologize for not being in contact with you sooner.

(I will be away from Trinidad for March).

Best Wishes,

Chris.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

NOW NEWS ON FEBRUARY´S ROTI NIGHT

Roti Night at Rotilicious

Nigel P. Boos

Monday, February 23, 2009 12:38:39 PM

Well, Roti Night has come and gone and we're left with some beautiful memories of friendships formed and associations re-made.

Terrence Ferreira had come in from New Jersey to visit his mother and we decided to get together to meet other OB's, even though we might have come from different MSB "eras", to share a roti and a Carib together.

And so it was that Terrence (59-65), Egan Baichoo (59-60), Cornel de Freitas (60-65), Carlos Guio (74-79), Hudson McKoy (69-74) and I (55-60) met at Rotilicious.

Cornel brought along his son Michael and his two grandsons, Lorenzo and Christian. We also were privileged to have our wives, Maureen Baichoo, Linda McKoy and my wife, Jackie, with us.

It turns out that Carlos and his brother, Luis, were the last two Venezuelans to attend school at the Mount.

Apart from the fact that the roti was wonderful, we were given a special treat when Terrence revealed his treasure box of memorabilia, containing masses of sports and athletic medals, his scout uniform, bushman's thong, scout belt, scarf, and badges including the treasured and now seldom seen Queen's Scout Badge.

Trevor seems to have been quite an athlete and sportsman, and, as I understand, he was also the Captain of the Football and Cricket teams.

And therein lays a story.

Apparently, the Abbey School was in the habit, as we know, of regularly challenging St. Stanislaus College in Guyana to number of sporting events, and, from what I hear, we seldom, if ever, won at football.

Apparently, Trevor's dad, Mr. Ferreira, had always said that the Abbey School would never win until a Ferreira led the team.

And so said, so done.

After his death, a neatly filed collection of newspaper reports was found among Mr. Ferreira's belongings, and Trevor presented these to us during our 'Roti Night'.

He asked me to hold onto his medals, paraphernalia and reports, and it just might be that these would be nice to have in any proposed Abbey School Old Boy Museum at MSB.

I have these items in my keeping now, and would be willing to hand them over to someone responsible, once the Museum idea is further developed.

Thanks, everyone, for coming along.

Enjoy the pix.

Nigel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Carlos,

Thanks for your kind comments and gentle reflections. I am so happy that you found the time to come and share your company with us old guys.

Wasn't it wonderful how, in an instant, we were able to transcend time and space and put ourselves back into the past, back into our tiny world of Mt. St. Benedict, and, forgetting that we really had not known one another before that night, were able to come together as brothers in spirit and in the enjoyment of one another's company?

Marvelous!

I would really appreciate any help you can give me to identify the names and contact info for the boys who attended the Abbey School during your time.

In order to help you and to concentrate your mind, I have attached a file which, so far as I know (and I may be wrong) includes all of the students of the Abbey School between 1972-1982.

Hopefully, you might be able to remember some of them, the years they were at MSB (approximately), how long (approx.) they were at MSB, any email addresses you might know, or any notes which you might remember about them.

Insignificant memories on your part can spark a whole wave of activity on my part.

So here we go.

Please see what you can do for us.

And thanks, Carlos, in advance.

Nigel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 24-Feb-09, at 3:42 PM, GUIO, Carlos wrote:

Nigel:

Thank you for the invitation and for a fantastic night, and for the pix.

I may have been quiet but the reflections and memories were …. unique.

I had not seen a scout scarf or belt like mine in 30 years or so…

My swimming medals looked like some of those we saw that evening,…..

I still do not remember my patrol name….many of the stories were similar to those of my time, the places some of you remembered in the mountain, in the back, the little door to the mountain from the basketball court, the mangoes, oranges and honey ….Whitestone, the view of Piarco, what an evening and great company.

Thanks again.

I will find some time to help with some of the names and dates from my time there.

All the best and kind regards to you and Jackie.

Carlos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: 1/23/200 5:33:49 PM

Hi Lad,

This email has been extremely overdue and for this I apologize.

I am known to you as “Egan Baichoo” and attended Mount in 1960, where I spent my last year of High School.

I very much remember you because, we sat together many times during the pre and post dinner study periods, during which you spent your time making all kinds of electronic gadgets.

I was able to keep you posted on the travels of the monk who was patrolling the room, thereby giving you enough time to re-establish your “study intensity”.

It was thru you that I hooked up with my good buddy, Nigel Boos, and for this I thank you.

I have lost contact with all my classmates of that year, but I still have lots of pictures of the 1960 graduating gang.

I have been in Canada since 1964 and at present I am the owner of my own real estate company servicing the Toronto and Greater Toronto Area for residential, commercial and investment needs. (Any referrals would be most appreciated)

I have enjoyed reading the bulletin and look forward to any pictures that I can relate to.

Please let me know the phone #’s/email addresses of the other guys who were in our 1960 graduation class.

I would love to contact them.

Let me know a little about yourself as well.

Take care and God bless.

Patrick Baichoo, Principal Broker/President

pbaichoo@trebnet.com

Maregan Realty Inc., Realtor

416 439 5558

Visit us at www.mareganrealty.ca

-------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:33:58 PM

Hello Gangaram,

How yuh doing man ??

Hope all is well, and is life treating you good.

All the guys you could remember is here and present.

Drop us a few lines, some stories you remember.

Last week Rico Beekhoo called me, he don't use the internet, that guy remember a lot of stuff, and had me laughing man, to funny.

We need to contact Nathaniel Sampath, and any other brothers you are in contact with.

I am sending this to Aziz. he lives in your area.

Best regards, and good to hear from yuh brother,

Glen McKoy,

80 Adelaide Ave. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3N 2N8. home phone 902-443-5437

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nigel P. Boos

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:25:18 AM

Gangaram,

You do not know me, but we have a common connection as Old Boys of Mt. St. Benedict.

Krishna Toolsie has contacted you today and has given me your email address, and for that I am grateful.

We, the Old Boys, under the leadership of Ladislao Kertesz (Class of 60) in Venezuela, are trying to develop a database of the past students of the Abbey School, which we routinely publish via email, and month by month it is growing and improving.

I attach herewith the current database for your information, and I hope you will find it useful in contacting any of your old friends from the Mount.

Any help you can give me in finding email addresses or even in adding new names which I have not yet found, would be very helpful indeed.

Nice to have you on board.

Nigel

------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nigel Boos

Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:49:32 PM

OK.

Great news.

You're invited to our upcoming Roti Night in June / July.

Location is still undecided. (Still waiting on ideas from you guys).

Nigel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 2-Apr-09, at 12:22 PM, Gittens, Peter W. wrote:

Nigel,

I am retiring from teaching in the US and will be living in Burlington , Ontario .

I took possession of our new house in Burlington on Feb. 27 and ever since I have been commuting every week from Burlington to New Orleans (weekends in Burlington) until the end of the academic year at the end of April.

I will resume my old position as an adjunct professor of Theology at St. Augustine Seminary in Toronto .

I am scheduled to teach a Moral Theology course starting on July 7.

When you update the Data Bank, my new address is

4625 Simmons Road

Burlington ON L7M 0J3

Home phone: 289 313-0648

e-mail: pgittens1@gmail.com

NB: I think my years at the Abbey as shown on the data bank are not correct. I was there from 1956 to 1961

Any way, all the best.

Sincerely,

Peter.

Deacon Peter W. Gittens, Ph.D., S.T.D.

Professor of Theology

Our Lady of Holy Cross College

4123 Woodland Drive

New Orleans, LA 70131-7399

Office: (504) 398-2142

pgittens@olhcc.edu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Nigel Boos [mailto:nigelboos@yahoo.ca]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:56 AM

Thank you, Peter

Nigel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 2-Apr-09, at 11:52 AM, Gittens, Peter W. wrote:

Nigel,

Thanks for this tip.

Anther good one, if you have not already heard about it,

People with a Skype account can now (as of two days ago) use Skype on an i phone and call anywhere without incurring cell roaming charges to your i phone.

Download Skype to an i phone from the App Store and Skype users will know what to do.

Peter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

I promise to be up to date by next week.

Regards

Ladislao Kertesz

So now you have all the exchanges and photos.

That is for now, till the next one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

09NB0001ROTI3REUNION, Nigel Boos, Egan Baichoo, Cornel de Freitas, Carlos Guio and Terrence Ferreira during the March reunion in Canada.

09NB0002ROTI3REUNION, Egan Baichoo, Carlos Guio and Terrence Ferreira with the scout badges.

09LK1778VISITTTDINNER, Kelvin Khan, Joseph Berment and Richard Farah.

09LK1772VISITTTDINNER, Dion Fakoory, David Pampellonne and Gordon Mitchell.

No comments:

Post a Comment